Administration assesses Title IX compliance

The district is reviewing its Title IX complaince after a complaint was filed against Santa Paula High School

*from “AAUW Issues: Title IX,” by American Association of University Women **from American Civil Liberties Union informational page on Title IX; designed by Gui Andrade, layout editor

The administration is taking proactive measures to ensure compliance with Title IX within the district after two legal advocacy groups and a law firm sent a request to Santa Paula High School to urge equal athletic opportunities for all female students last May.

We want to make sure that all of our schools are compliant so we don’t end up in another Santa Paula situation,

— Kevin Buchanan

Title IX, a part of the Education Amendments of 1972, protects individuals against discrimination based on sex in educational activities and programs funded by the federal government — such as school-funded sports. According to the Federal Department of Education Office for Civil Rights, Santa Paula High School in Ventura County had fewer female athletes than male athletes relative to the school’s enrollment.

“We want to make sure that all of our schools are compliant so we don’t end up in another Santa Paula situation,” Principal Kevin Buchanan said.

Schools in Ventura County are insured by Ventura County Schools Self-Funding Authority. According to Buchanan, after the Santa Paula compliance issue, the insurance company contacted the schools in the Ventura County area.

“They said that they want us to conduct an analysis of our programs based on participation, facilities and benefits,” Buchanan said.

Right now, we are right at the beginning. We’ve had all the meetings, we’ve been through the training,

— Kevin Buchanan

The school is beginning the assessment this semester.

“Right now, we are right at the beginning. We’ve had all the meetings, we’ve been through the training,” Buchanan said. “The Santa Paula District became the template for how to address these issues. They did it right. They got professional help and they fixed their problem.”

According to Buchanan, the district has to fill out more than 130 pages of forms to “determine whether or not our girls are getting equal benefit from the program as the boys.”

Oak Park has already been pursuing equal opportunity for male and female athletes.

“We have been continually trying to add female sports programs. We’ve added a JV girls’ tennis team, we’ve added a girls’ golf team and girls’ lacrosse,” Assistant Principal Jason Meskis said. “We are trying to get more girls involved.”

After the assessment, Buchanan expects that the district will have a more complete understanding of the programs and resources available for boys and girls. Using this information, the administration will create a plan to address any discrepancies.

“It’s the law,” Meskis said. “We don’t have any other option except to be in compliance.”