Two presidents elected

Kenny Park and Jake Whealen to be ASB co-presidents

Juniors Jake Whealen and Kenny Park team up as ASM co-presidents. The two were appointed to the position after a close election (Photo Illustration/Talon)

Oak Park held its annual Associated Student Body Elections April 13-17 in which the freshman, sophomore and junior classes made their votes—and history.

For the first time ever at Oak Park High School there will be two cabinet co-presidents instead of the usual one.

Juniors Kenny Park and Jake Whealen have been in ASB since their freshman year and decided to campaign against each other for the ASB Cabinet President position. After a long week of campaigning, the results came in and revealed that one of them had won by merely 20 votes – the closest margin between two candidates in Oak Park’s history.

Principal Kevin Buchanan and Vice Principal Brian Martin offered them an opportunity to be co-president since the votes were so close and both of them deserved the position.

“Though unconventional, the co-presidency offers a very effective opportunity to govern the school,” Whealen said. “It’s never been done before, but Kenny and I know enough about this school and enough about each other in order to lead the student body in a positive direction.”

When announced, many were shocked about the result and even felt that their votes were not worthwhile.

“I am very happy for the two of them,” junior Anastasia Greer said. “However, I feel that this decision to have two presidents defeats the whole purpose of voting. What was the point of voting if both were going to win anyway?”

The ASB cabinet presidency requires a great deal of dedication to the ASB program and the school. Some of the responsibilities include leading class meetings, facilitating the involvement of all ASB members, meeting with administration to discuss school issues and planning all student events such as rallies and dances.

With so much to do, Park and Whealen will now, in theory, be able to split the workload to efficiently accomplish their goals.

“It was something not expected, but I am so blessed for this opportunity,” Park said. “We have a lot of work ahead of us, but the two of us will make an unforgettable year.”

Current ASB Cabinet President Michelle Velasquez is confident that the correct decision was made.

“I think it will work out for the best. I have a great feeling about the two of them for the next school year,” Velasquez said.