School crowns 2015 Mr. Eagle

Senior Tushar Jois performs stand-up routine, wins pageant

April 24, 2015

Backstage, senior Matt Yulish makes some last minutes adjustments to his talent portion. In one room the sophomore contestants go over their choreography. In another, co-host Becca Lonngren is writes a script. Co-host and ASB member Zach Finn runs around between various rooms until the start of the show.

This marked the school’s fifth annual Mr. Eagle Pageant, held on April 23, in which male representatives from each grade compete for the Mr. Eagle title. The categories include a talent portion, a dance performed by students from each individual grade, as well as a runway segment and questionnaire portion.

I’d like to thank the Academy and affirmative action.

— Tushar Jois

Seniors Matt Yulish, Alec Mandell and Tushar Jois, juniors Noah McCreary, Jake Friedman and Kobi Weisberg, sophomores Connor Gentry, Josh Weisberg and Madison McIntyre and freshmen Nash Jones, Jake Iazetta and Parker Kieling participated in the pageant.

Half an hour before the show started, students began to file into the pavilion. Juniors Blake Fine, Sarah Kelly and Lexie Maldonado were already giggling in their seats.

When asked why they came to see the pageant, their answer was short: “Boys.”

According to the Fine, Kelly and Maldonado, they expected the boys to display “poise,” “positive energy” and “charisma.”

“I expect to see some talent, some flair,” Maldonado said.

Junior Jake Friedman attempts to remove a table cloth as a “special talent.”

Meanwhile, the pageant contestants waited backstage.

“I’m nervous about the competition. It’s pretty heavy out there,” Yulish said. “I think I’m gonna bring a good spontaneity and just really good charisma that maybe a lot of people can match.”

Out in the pavilion, senior Noah Finn arrived to support his friends.

“I’m looking forward to watching my fellow seniors dancing their hearts out tonight,” Finn said.

As the lights dimmed the three judges walked on stage: ASB President Michelle Velasquez, senior Yael Karoly and Candis Gillett, the “celebrity teacher appearance.”

According to ASB member Yuval Oringer, the Mr. Eagle Pageant has grown in recent years.

“Honestly, it’s good because this year we’re getting more kids from different crowds,” Oringer said. “It used to be one set friend group, like it used to only be drama kids to do it, so it’s exciting.”

Firstly, the boys competed in the talent segment. Talents ranged from singing to miming.

The talent segment also included Kieling’s hula dance to “Hawaiian Rollercoaster Ride,” which prompted all three judges to join him.

Jois surprised the crowd with a comedy routine, resulting in an uproar of laughter.

Velasquez described Jois as “willing to make fun of [himself] and others.”

Then, McCreary appeared on stage shirtless for a martial arts routine.

“I thought you’d be channeling Channing Tatum as Magic Mike. I’m glad you showed us your martial arts, not your other arts,” Gillett said at the pageant.

“I’m surprised you weren’t dress coded by [Assistant Principal] Martin immediately,” Karoly said.

Lastly, Mandell performed an original song entitled “Oak Park.” The song included hilarious lyrics, which left students laughing and singing along during the final chorus.

After the performances, the judges chose Jois as the winner of the talent portion.

“I think the seniors killed it, but I think everyone did a really good job. It takes guts to get up on stage,” junior Jake Davis said.

The second portion of the show consisted of a dance from each grade.

The freshmen started their dance to Miley Cyrus’s “The Climb” and ended with an impersonation of “Napoleon Dynamite” that had the crowd cheering.

The sophomores danced to Sir Mixalot’s “I Like Big Butts” — and their dance fit the title.

Next, the juniors, dressed in gray sweats, white wife-beaters and red snapbacks danced to ‘N Sync’s “Bye Bye Bye.

But none of these dances could compare to the hilarity of the senior’s rendition of Britney Spears’s “Toxic.” Dressed in nothing but tutus and old Oak Park cheer sweaters, the boys danced around stage, used chairs as props and earned a standing ovation.

“You might’ve gotten Mr. Eagle cancelled for the next few years,” Velasquez said between laughs.

All groups had to choreograph their own dances.

“Honestly choreographing the dance with Matt [Yulish] and TJ [Jois] was one of the highlights of my senior year.” Mandell stated. “It was fairly easy since Matt and I are both highly-trained dancers. We just went to his house, called TJ up to meet us there and banged out a dance in thirty minutes.”

During intermission, audience members could vote for their favorite contestant. Each audience member received one raffle ticket when admitted, but could buy an extra raffle ticket for a dollar each.

The next segment of the evening was the runway and questionnaire.  Questions included topics such as perfect dates, foreign affairs and potential superpowers.

Joisking
Jois genuflects upon his victory.

“In sixth grade I met a guy named Trent Hall, so I think it’s obviously yes, I believe in love,” Friedman replied when asked if he believed in love.

Finally, it was time to announce the winners.

Weisberg won best dressed. Yulish and Friedman tied for third place, while Mandell came in second.

Then the crowd chanted, “TJ! TJ! TJ!”

At no surprise to the audience, Jois was crowned first place and this year’s Mr. Eagle.

After running around the stage in a victory lap as the audience cheered, Jois quipped, “I’d like to thank the Academy and affirmative action.”