Community members work to combat rising food insecurity in Ventura County

OPHS participates in Feed Ventura County food drive

As part of a recent collection of drives aimed at helping the less fortunate, Oak Park High School participated in the Feed Ventura County food drive. This drive was originally called Feed805 food drive and was organized by Food Share Ventura County, a member of FeedingAmerica. OPHS previously participated in November of 2020, in partnership with Manna Conejo Valley Food Bank.

Food Share was designated as the 2020 California Nonprofit of the Year by Assemblymember Jacqi Irwin, dedicated to “leading the fight against hunger in Ventura County.” The website offers resources on how to organize food drives at local schools and neighborhoods using its “food drive toolkit,” with steps ranging from “determining logistics” to “appreciation.”

At OPHS, students were encouraged to drop off donations to room F-3, in order to help meet the overall goal of 60,000 bags of food.

“Unfortunately, there is always a need for this type of support, but right now, 1 in 6 Ventura County residents are struggling with food insecurity, a reflection of this past unprecedented year,” social science teacher Kimberlee Galbreath, the occupant of F-3, wrote to the Talon.

According to Feeding America, food insecurity is defined as a reduction in food intake or a lack of access to food, especially due to poverty. To combat this, donations were accepted throughout the month of April. Some of the most needed items were cereal (non-sugar types), peanut butter, beans (dry and canned), canned protein (tuna, chicken and salmon) and rice (in 1 pound to 2 pound bags or mixes). Perishable items and glass were not accepted.

While the main goal of the drive was to get food for those who needed it, the drive was also aimed at fostering a sense of community and compassion in students.

“A goal is for the students to participate and to understand how an act of compassion can make all the difference in someone’s life, someone they might never even meet,” Galbreath wrote.

While the drive ends on Friday, April 30, Galbreath believes that students can continue to help the less fortunate.

“Students don’t have to wait for a food drive to get involved in helping their community; opportunities are all around them, they just have to be willing to put themselves out there,” Galbreath wrote.