Senior Spotlight: Lily Apar

Senior Lily Apar poses with a sheet of music. Apar is currently a drum major for the marching band and is also a part of jazz band and wind ensemble (Photo illustration by Akshita Dondeti/Talon).

Students who attended the homecoming rally Oct. 9 saw Lily Apar — she was con- ducting the marching band with her fellow drum major, Weston Pollock.

Apar joined Oak Park’s band program in the sixth grade. When she started at- tending the high school in 2012, the band program was considerably smaller than it is today.

However, Apar, a trumpet player, did not quit.

“I think I just loved playing trumpet so much that I didn’t want to give it up, and I felt like I would be quitting this huge part of myself if I did stop during freshman year,” Apar said.

Now, Apar is a part of the jazz band and wind ensemble, in addition to serving as a drum major for the marching band.

“[Pollock and I are] the middle people between [band director Zachary] Borquez and the band,” Apar said.

This unique role allows Apar to work closely with fellow members of the band program. To Apar, the students are a “tight knit” family.

Apar said she enjoys interacting with others in general, which explains her career choice: psychiatry.

“I love working with people; that’s why I’m drum major as well, because I feel like I get people, and that’s a huge part of being a leader,” Apar said.

Though she does not want to pursue music as a career, she does plan to be involved in music in the future.

“I definitely want to be in some music program, whatev- er it is,” Apar said. “Marching band in college looks so fun. I would love to continue what I’m doing right now in college.”

In addition to her role in the band program, Apar takes rigorous courses, tutors — and likes to cook.

“I like to push myself in everything,” Apar said.