Jay Greenlinger, director of curriculum

New Director of Curriculum and Instruction Jay Greenlinger works on his computer. Greenlinger once taught at Brookside Elementary School and Medea Creek Middle School among other locations (Meghana Mudunuri/Talon).

Jay Greenlinger, the new director of curriculum and instruction, spent several years working for the Oak Park school district in the beginning of his career.

Since then he has taught and worked at multiple schools, but Greenlinger said that he is especially impressed by how Oak Park values every individual, and how everyone strives for excellence.

“I grew up in Calabasas and attended Calabasas High School,” Greenlinger wrote.

After college, Greenlinger came back to the area to work at Brookside.

My favorite books are the Lord of the Rings trilogy,

— Jay Greenlinger

“I started as a student teacher at Brookside, and then started my teaching career there as a 5th grade teacher,” Greenlinger wrote.  “I visited my old classroom a few days ago and it brought back a lot of great memories.”

But Greenlinger said that a fifth grade teacher is certainly not the only position he has held.

“I spent the first 6 years of my career in Oak Park; 4 as a teacher at Brookside, then 2 years as Dean at Medea Creek Middle School. I left to be a Principal in the Pleasant Valley School District in Camarillo.  After 4 years as principal of La Mariposa School, I spent 3 years as the Director of Technology in Pleasant Valley. I was lucky enough to be selected for this role in June, and started my new job here in July,” Greenlinger wrote.

Although his schedule is widely consumed by work, Greenlinger said he has lots of outside hobbies.

“I have 4 children, so many of my hobbies center around their activities,” Greenlinger wrote.  “I coach a softball and a soccer team, and I referee soccer games.  When I get “me” time, I like to exercise- I try to swim every morning.  I also read a lot. Right now I am near the end of the 4th Game of Thrones book.  Believe it or not, I have never seen an episode of the show! I also love to cook (and eat).”

In addition to Game of Thrones, Greenlinger said he is an avid reader.

“I read for pleasure every day.  My favorite books are the Lord of the Rings trilogy (I have read the trilogy 4 times) and anything written by Bill Bryson,” Greenlinger wrote.

Greenlinger said that he has a vision for the future of the Oak Park school district.

“My goal is to make sure that OPUSD continues to offer a rigorous and meaningful education to every student,” Greenlinger wrote.  “I can reach this goal by helping stay true to our vision and by making sure teachers and administrators have the things they need to be effective. I also see my self as a change agent, helping us move forward and make tough decisions when needed.”

As much work as it is, Greenlinger said he is truly passionate about what he does.

“I absolutely love what I do! I come to work everyday excited about the day.  I know that what I do helps teachers make every day exciting and meaningful for students. It’s the same feeling I used to get when I was a classroom teacher.  It means a lot to me to positively influence the lives of students; it’s why I became a teacher in the first place.”