Oak Park alumni share college wisdom at panel event

Students return to share personal experiences

Five Oak Park Alumni returned to answer questions and speak about college life to current high schoolers. The discussion panel was held in the College and Career Center, Jan. 12 to benefit students and their view on college (Meghana Mudunuri/Talon).

Graduates from the class of 2016 returned to Oak Park High School to participate in a college panel Jan. 12. The graduates reflected on the college admission process and their experiences, while current students convened in the College and Career Center to ask questions about college life.

Taking part in the panel discussion were Jake Speert from the University of Minnesota; Kenny Park and Amanda Reilly from the University of California, Berkeley; Chloe Wigul from the University of Wisconsin and Erin Dolabson from the University of Colorado at Boulder.

“It was great to be able to come back to Oak Park and speak in front of Oak Park students,” Park said. “Oak Park has prepared me so well for my college experience at Berkeley and it was a great opportunity for me to provide insight and advice for Oak Park students like me.”

Questions ranged from the application process to student life away from home. With the presence of panelists from various schools across the nation, they were able to compare college life from different parts of the country.

The panelists agreed on some differences between life at Oak Park and life in different areas. When asked by College & Career Advisor Jean Hawkins about sickness in college, the panelists agreed that managing illness is just another part of the independence a college student faces.

I would advise Oak Park high schoolers to both appreciate high school life and also know that there are very exciting times ahead,

— Amanda Reilly

“[Sickness in college] is not something that you really think about, but as many of us pointed out, it is important because it is probably the first time in your life that you have to take care of yourself,” Reilly said. “It is one step towards adulthood.”

When asked what it felt like returning for break, though the panelists were excited to return, some agreed that they felt out of place after living away for several months.

“Coming back for winter break is a weird phenomenon, because once you’re in college it feels like you become a stranger in your own home,” Reilly said.

Kellie Stahlhuth, a senior who attended the event, said she found it valuable to listen to the advice of students who had already undergone some college experiences.

“I liked how we were able to learn certain things about a school that you wouldn’t find out in a college tour,” Stahlhuth said.

The panelists also received questions on finishing high school.

“I would advise Oak Park high schoolers to both appreciate high school life and also know that there are very exciting times ahead.” Reilly said. “College is all about developing independence.”

Morgan Irwin, another senior who attended the event, agreed that some parts of the college students’ experiences offered a new perspective on what the upcoming year would look like.

“Overall, I’d say their answers were pretty similar to my expectations, but I was surprised at the amount of work they still had,” Irwin said. “While I knew that college wasn’t a walk in the park, I thought because students had more freedom in selecting their classes and time frames, they would have a more manageable schedule and feel less stressed.”

Panelists who spoke at the event said that this experience not only allowed them to offer their advice to high school students, but that it had been beneficial for themselves as well.

“I felt the questions were very open-ended and allowed us six panelists to talk about different topics that related to the question with our own twists,” Park said. “Overall, I was grateful for Mrs. Hawkins for allowing me to come back and talk abut my college experience.”