GSA talks sexuality and community during Awareness Week

Students attend discussion panel on the LGBTQ+ community

Students attend presentation held by the Gay-Straight Alliance Club in G-9, Wednesday Jan. 18. The event was put on to spread awareness to emphasize the theme of awareness week (Meghana Mudunuri/Talon).

The Gay-Straight Alliance Club organized a discussion panel for Awareness Week Wednesday, Jan. 18.

The event’s discussion — hosted by GSA president Will Carter, co-vice presidents Kyra Ratusnik and Melanie Katz and secretary, Katie Randazzo — covered a range of topics that GSA leaders said could be easily misunderstood about the LGBTQ+ population

“We covered spectrums, coming out, sexuality, gender, romantic versus physical attraction, the role of straight allies,” Carter said. “Really just information that we believed to be most often misconstrued about our community.”

The theme of the event, according to Carter, was to spread knowledge on what being a part of the LGBTQ+ community entails.

It’s critical to have LGBT representation in high schools, especially in areas like Oak Park,

— Will Carter

“It’s critical to have LGBT representation in high schools, especially in areas like Oak Park,” Carter said. “Ignorance breeds hatred and this is what we try to prevent as a club.”

Approximately 70 students and faculty members came to the event, which was held during lunch.

“This was far beyond the number we had predicted,” Carter said. “As for the meeting, it went amazing.”

Carter said that the meeting addressed issues beyond LGBTQ+ awareness and acceptance; it was about ensuring the boundaries of comfortability, especially regarding the school environment.

“The Gay-Straight Alliance’s main goal is to spread awareness about our community and provide a safe place for people of all sexualities,” Carter said. “Awareness Week was an opportunity for us to do both of these things on a larger scale than usual.”

Finley Burger, a junior who attended the event, said that not only did she learn more about sexuality, but also about individuality.

“It is most important to be comfortable and open about your sexuality no matter what,” Burger said.

Looking ahead, Carter said that GSA will expand its projects.

“The GSA is a layered program. Some of our energy is devoted to in-school meetings and the assimilation of outside LGBT educational resources to Oak Park,” Carter said. “The rest of our energy is funneled into community and sometimes national outreach work.”

Ratusnik and Carter said they are currently working on OPHS Staff Training Seminar and Pamphlets.

“Our goal for the rest of the year is to provide a staff training on campus so that teachers can better understand LGBT students,” Ratusnik said.

Ratusnik said that awareness is an important aspect of acceptance.

“Whether you’re a member of the community or a straight ally, you need to help spread knowledge and offer your support to others who may be having a rough time,” Ratusnik said.