Police close investigation of Nazi-themed notes

Following the February police investigation of the anti-Semitic notes left on various Oak Park buildings, investigators closed the case due to a lack of leads.

Seven homes and the Chabad of Oak Park received threatening cards with pro-Hitler sentiments Saturday, Feb. 11. Through camera surveillance on one of the homes, police at the Ventura County Sheriff’s Department were able to conclude that the suspects could be between 15 to 20 years old.

Oak Park High School published pictures of the suspects in the student store and sent multiple emails to teachers asking if any suspects could be recognized.

Initially, the case received numerous leads in attempt to identify the suspects, but due to a lack of concrete leads, the case came to a close.

[Anti-Semitism] should not be allowed when something does happen to be overlooked or ignored.

— Megan Weissman

“We interviewed numerous juveniles from various different schools; however, none were believed to be the suspects in the case,” Detective Marta Bugarin said.

However, the case may reopen if new evidence is reported. 

The effects of the hate crime were not only left on the homeowners, but on outsiders as well, according to junior Amit Shefi.

“I definitely felt a certain level of unsafe[ness]. It’s very scary to think that hate crimes as such are prevalent today,” Shefi said.

Although this case was the most recent, it is not the first incident of hate in Oak Park. The community dealt with anti-Semitic tweets from Oak Park High School students in 2014 and with graffiti vandalism at the Chabad of Oak Park in 2010.

Junior Megan Weissman, a member of a local Jewish youth group, said she felt hurt after hearing of the notes in February.

“I am fortunate enough to live in a place where anti-Semitism is minimal to nonexistent, which I am grateful for. That said, it should not be allowed when something does happen to be overlooked or ignored,” Weissman said.