Football team adds 2 female players

Faith Vom Cleff, Tamy Beruzon join football team

August 31, 2017

For the first time in the history of Oak Park High School, more than one girl will be joining the football team. Freshmen Faith Vom Cleff and Tamy Beruzon have joined the junior varsity football team for the 2017 season.

Former kicker Courtney Adhoot joined the varsity team in 2016, ending a 20-year period of inactive female participation.

“[Beruzon and Vom Cleff] bring passion and enthusiasm, and a love of the new sport. They bring curiosity. It’s great to see that they are excelling and having a great time in something that didn’t exist two or three years ago,” Coach Casey Webb said. “I love seeing — whether it’s a girl or not — someone try something new and have a great time doing it.”

Vom Cleff said she was inspired by her friend to join.

“Mostly, one of my friends really wanted me to play,” Vom Cleff said.

Vom Cleff is currently playing lineman, a choice she decided to make.

[Beruzon and Vom Cleff] bring passion and enthusiasm, and a love of the new sport. They bring curiosity.

— Casey Webb

“I did get to choose [my position]. It was open and they wanted more people to try for everything,” Vom Cleff said. “I was planning on going for lineman in the first place and since we needed more, I tried out.”

According to Beruzon, the running back and lineman work hand in hand on the football field as they cooperate in handing the ball off across the field.

“[Faith’s] blocking [the other team] all the time. I’m blocking them some of the time, and sometimes I get the ball and run it,” Beruzon said.

According to Webb, having females in the football program has improved the team bond.

“Last year, we had Courtney on the varsity team, and the dynamic was actually better than I’d ever seen before with a female on the team,” Webb said. “[The teammates] just treat them like another player.”

I’ve played other sports, but this team is very close and supportive. [Football] is not like [any other sport].

— Tamy Beruzon

Football was not always Vom Cleff’s main athletic activity.

“In middle school, they did have an eighth grade thing for football and that was one time, but that’s all,” Vom Cleff said. “I played softball for one month and that’s mostly it.”

Beruzon played soccer, hockey, basketball and did gymnastics prior to attending Oak Park High School, but said she never played football until high school.

“I’ve played other sports, but this team is very close and supportive. [Football] is not like [any other sport],” Beruzon said.

Beruzon said she has different reasons for liking football as well.

“It is more fun because you get to hit people and stuff,” Beruzon said.

Vom Cleff suffered a minor injury during the season’s first few fall practices, but stated that she didn’t feel excluded by team members.

Everyone can play, honestly, and they should and go for it if they would love to. It’s a fun sport.

— Faith Vom Cleff

“Since I’m a little injured I have been out, but everyone is good on the team and everyone is nice,” Vom Cleff said.

Vom Cleff has high hopes for the team this season.

“Everyone is doing okay, but lately we have just been a little off, but I think everyone is going to do great,” Vom Cleff said.

Webb said when it comes to performance in the football program, coaches and players, girls and boys are judged equally.

“Nothing’s different. I haven’t had to change anything operationally, so everything’s been the same. We hold them to the same standard we would anybody else. We have high expectations for them. They’re held to the same high standard that these guys are. We’re not trying to make any changes that we don’t have to make,” Webb said.

Vom Cleff wants to see more girls join the team in the years to come.

“Everyone can play, honestly, and they should and go for it if they would love to,” Vom Cleff said. “It’s a fun sport.”