Bryan Martin leaves OPHS

Assistant Principal becomes principal at Rancho Campana High School

Previous Assistant Principal, Bryan Martin

Alex Goldbeck

Alex Goldbeck

Assistant Principal Bryan Martin left Oak Park High School, becoming the new principal at Rancho Campana High School for the 2018-19 school year, after six years of working at OPHS.

Since Rancho Campana’s school year began on Aug. 29, Martin’s official transition into the Oxnard Union High School District was on Aug. 27.

Martin says that he will be moving into a “new culture” by moving school districts.

“The things I am looking forward to [are] the new experience[s], meeting new people, learning [about] a new school and figuring out how we can make it better, improve it,” Martin said.

As he is now principal, rather than assistant principal, Martin explains that “the buck will stop with [him].”

“It’s exciting, but at the same time, it makes me a little nervous because I’m fully in charge, so the accountability comes solely to me,” Martin said. “But, I have a lot more excitement than I have nervousness.”

The district has hired an interim assistant principal, Jean Gordon, as of Aug. 27. Gordon has 26 years of experience with the Conejo Valley School District, and will act as interim assistant principal until a permanent hire is made.

“We are fortunate to be able to get her on board so quickly,” Principal Kevin Buchanan wrote to the Talon.

Buchanan explained that he is losing both a friend and a colleague.

“I am blue because I don’t get to work with my friend anymore and because we are losing such a talented administrator who has worked so hard for our school community,” Buchanan wrote. “On the other hand, I am happy for him and his family because he has this exciting opportunity to lead such a new and innovative school.”

Among the aspects of OPHS that he will miss, Martin mentioned the staff and the students.

“Students are hardworking, respectful, nice. The staff is excellent; there’s a lot of staff here that really try hard to make this place better for everybody,” Martin said. “There are a lot of friends that I have here that I’ll walk away from — that I’ll miss — so that’s the hard part.”

About the Contributors
Amanda Lurey, Club Director
Amanda is a senior at Oak Park High School. She served as news editor for the 2017-18 school year and is currently the 2018-19 Talon club director.
Alex Goldbeck, Photo Editor
Alex Goldbeck is a junior at Oak Park High School. She served as the opinion editor for the 2017-18 school year and is currently the 2018-19 photo editor.