Club Spotlight: Muslim Student Association

Muslims, non-Muslims come together

Aashika Srinivas/Talon

The Muslim Student Association meets once a month

This year, for the first time, the Muslim Student Association has arrived at Oak Park High School.

MSA is a national organization that strives to integrate Muslim students and their values into a community.

MSA club president, junior Hadia Hamza, said she wants to change the direction of the club from encouraging membership of the Muslim community to encouraging attendance from all high school students, including non-Muslims.

“Specific to Oak Park, I really wanted MSA to be a club where you can learn about Islam rather than hear about it, and contribute to the betterment of the community,” Hamza said.

The cabinet plans to hold two school supply drives for refugees in Turkey, one per semester. The school supply drives will ask people to donate non-perishable foods and other necessities needed in refugee camps.

“We wanted the supplies drive to be a really essential part,” Hamza said. “It’s really a big deal to get the items shipped to the correct organizations and I really wanted to do them, having just a box in every classroom.”

According to junior Suhana Danee, MSA’s outreach to non-Muslim students has helped increase interest in the club.

“I’m in this club just to raise awareness and I just want to support clubs like this which don’t have a lot of recognition,” Danee said. “Clubs like this could change the perspective on Muslim society and that’s what I hope happens at Oak Park.”

Several local schools, including El Camino High School, Granada Hills High School and Westlake High School, also have Muslim Student Associations.

“I hope people can learn to appreciate our differences and start conversation rather than assume the worst in people,” Hamza said. “I want people to be comfortable talking about religion, meeting someone from a different culture, and talking about commonalities in our communities among a wider range of people.”