From left to right, foreign exchange students Sofie Kieldstad, Federica Pozzi and Beatrice Levorato smile on. Kieldstad is from Norway, and Pozzi and Beatrice are from Italy (Jaron Flynn/Talon).

OPHS welcomes 17 from abroad

Students from Germany, Brazil, Italy, etc. make the trip to Oak Park

September 30, 2016

Oona Sulkunen leaned against the window of Scandinavian Airlines flight 0903, her face pressed gently against the cool glass pane. Beneath her, street lights illuminated New York City, and in the distance, the Statue of Liberty welcomed another visitor with the warmth of her torch and open arms.

Passport in hand, Sulkunen disembarked her Airbus A333 with unsteady footing and an unsure mind. Tuesday, Aug. 2nd, would be Sulkunen’s first time setting foot on American soil.

However, her journey did not stop there. Seventy-two hours later, the sun rose in Los Angeles, and Virgin America flight 0161 touched down. After three days to get acclimated to American life in New York, Sulkunen arrived in California, eager to enjoy 10 months in the Golden State with her host sister, Oak Park native Maddy Bauman.

While 17-year-old Sulkunen was initially alone on her journey from her hometown of Seinajoki, Finland, she is not the only exchange student to walk the halls of Oak Park.

This year, 17 students from seven countries have entered Oak Park High School: Henry Nowicki, Moritz Kamke, Louisa Gottschall, Henrike Stein, Luzie Roeschert, Carla Bruchmann and Julian Seidel from Germany; Laura Botelho and Julia Bertassoli from Brazil; Candice Frisoni from France; Beatrice Levorato and Federica Pozzi from Italy; Sofie Kjeldstad, Celine Bjoerkelo and Thea Grinde from Norway; Cedric Class from Switzerland; and Oona Sulkunen from Finland.

Each had his or her own reasons for coming. Kjeldstad of Oslo, Norway, wanted to attend an English-speaking school, specifically in California for its “beautiful cities and perfect weather.”  A typical day for Kjeldstad includes “school, homework and watching a movie with [her] host family.”

From Germany, Kamke of Berlin and Nowicki of Munich sought “exposure to American culture” and the diversity that can be found in Southern California.

After a day of school and homework, Kamke enjoys playing basketball and hopes to play in the spring. When not doing homework, Nowicki can be found on the football field.

Bertassoli of Sao Paulo, Brazil, said she had always dreamt of attending school in the United States. So, she said it was a welcomed surprise when on Christmas morning Bertassoli’s parents presented her with the greatest present of all: the fulfillment of her life-long dream.

As part of an exchange program that gives students the option of either spending one semester at a private school or one year at a public institution, Bertassoli chose to spend a year at Oak Park High School.

Just like Oak Park students, she will be taking the required subjects of chemistry, English and math, for which she will receive credit toward her Brazilian education.  While she is here she hopes to “experience the American lifestyle” and get a closer glimpse of one of her dream schools, the University of Southern California.

From unfamiliar dishes to unfamiliar destinations, the foreign exchange students said they are eager to experience Californian cultures and customs. Sulkunen said she was elated to be able to experience so many novelties, like the Pacific Ocean, peanut butter and getting her first taste of a s’more.

While the program provides unique experiences, many students said they miss home.

“[I miss my] family, ice skating and the upcoming winter season that brings snow,” Sulkunen said.

Although it’s difficult to leave her family behind, Sulkunen said she came here for a reason.

“I want to improve my English and become more confident,” Sulkunen said.

For now, Sulkunen said she enjoys the simple experiences: time with friends, football games and beautiful beaches. But her overall goal remains to “experience things she could not do anywhere else.”

Nine months remain for the class of 2017. May will not only graduate Oak Park High School’s seniors, but also culminates life abroad for these 17 newly made foreign friends.