Fallen, but not defeated

Alumnus Brian Wolverton's sacrifice honored at memorial

June 5, 2015

A group of juniors led by English teacher Kathy Schultheis held a memorial on May 22 for Brian Wolverton, an Oak Park alumnus who died in combat while serving in the War in Afghanistan.

At the memorial, two scrapbooks, filled with writings from Schultheis’ students meditating on Wolverton’s sacrifice, were given to Wolverton’s parents, Christopher and Miriam Wolverton.

“We’re very pleased and humbled,” Miriam Wolverton said. “I want to thank the group for their hard work and dedication, and [my husband and I] can’t wait to look at the books they have prepared… They’re beautiful.”

After Schultheis’ son played “America the Beautiful” on the piano, the memorial began with opening words from Schultheis herself. Junior Nathaniel Driggs followed with a reading of the poem “The Concord Hymn” by Ralph Waldo Emerson, with the event concluding with words from junior Dennis Chiu.

Photos of fallen soldier and Oak Park alumnus Brian Wolverton on display. Students of English teacher Kathy Schutlheis honored Wolverton by gibing his parents two scrapbooks filled with reflections on Wolverton's sacrifice (Staff photographer/Talon).
Photos of fallen soldier and Oak Park alumnus Brian Wolverton on display. Students of English teacher Kathy Schutlheis honored Wolverton by giving his parents two scrapbooks filled with reflections on Wolverton’s sacrifice (Staff photographer/Talon).

But, before everyone was dismissed for refreshments, Christopher Wolverton stepped up to the podium to announce his thanks for remembering Brian.

“I think I’m more emotional than I thought I would be,” junior Caitlin Takeda said. “It was just really touching to hear Mr. Wolverton speak especially.”

Junior Tyler Ford agreed.

“I think that the most touching part of the service was when the father came to speak, because we weren’t all expecting it, and we got to know Brian through his voice the most,” Ford said.

More than 50 people attended the memorial, including the entire football team and coaches and teachers who knew Brian Wolverton personally.

“It is as hard today as it was when I learned he had died and I was giving his eulogy at his funeral. I’m amazed at the strength and resilience of his parents,” Lyle Greenberg, a track coach for Brian Wolverton, said. Greenberg’s own son is a Marine, and his daughter grew up with Brian Wolverton since elementary school.

The event was generally received as a resounding success.

“I was just really hoping that people would show up to rightly remember him and I’m glad that so many people did attend and then that so many people still do keep him in his heart,” Takeda said.

Chiu emphasized the importance of remembering those who make sacrifices for their community.

“It’s good to have this level of recognition from the Oak Park students and I think it’s a healthy experience both for the students and for the people attending the memorial,” Chiu said. “It opens their eyes to what the people in the community do for us, what they give up, the things that they do, the things that they sacrifice, in the name of duty for their family and community.