Once+high+school+sweethearts%2C+the+characters+played+by+seniors+Alex+Poe+and+Yael+Karoly+reunite+after+years+apart+%28Photo+courtesy+of+Alan+Winck%29.+

Once high school sweethearts, the characters played by seniors Alex Poe and Yael Karoly reunite after years apart (Photo courtesy of Alan Winck).

Drama students run the show

Senior-led team responsible for all aspects of "Plaza Suite"

June 5, 2015

The student-rendered spotlight play “Plaza Suite” premiered in the Oak Park pavilion May 21-23.

The play, written by Neil Simon, was directed by senior Monica Hennessy and produced by senior Mia Beckerman.

Oak Park’s Drama Club chooses and hosts the last play of the year, known as the spotlight play. This year the students voted for “Plaza Suite.”

“I was impressed from day one,” Hennessy said. She found the cast to be “cooperative and enthusiastic” about the play.

In act one, the characters played by senior Matt Yulish and sophomore Savanna Gann work through infidelity on their anniversary (Photo courtesy of Alan Winck).

Hennessy and Beckerman are not the only students taking a traditionally adult role in the play. Students handled everything from ticket sales to costume design.

Drama students found the student-driven environment to be positive.

“Monica and Mia have created a good environment,” senior Jasmine Flora said. According to Flora, there is “a lot of freedom” and “room for character development.”

Onstage, Hennessy works with the actors to create a production that combines her and the cast’s varying visions.

“[Monica] is letting us discover our own character,” junior Ian Johnson said.

For some students, the show presents them with their first lead roles.

“It’s the first shot to show I can act,” Flora said. “I’ve really invested myself and I’ve grown as an actor.”

The third act couple, played by seniors Zach Finn and Giselle Langley, attempts to persuade its soon-to-be-wed daughter to exit the bathroom and walk down the aisle (Photo courtesy of Alan Winck).

Crew had to rush to build the set within a week as AP testing delayed set construction.

In preparation the students go through “hell week,” the lengthy week leading up to opening night full of costumes, frustration and catered food.

While Hennessy described the whole process as “stressful,” she said that it was “a new and challenging experience.”

“Plaza Suite” is about “three couples in three different acts,” Johnson said. “Three shows in one, basically.”

Overall, Hennessy was proud of the way the Drama Club presented “Plaza Suite.”

“My vision with [the cast] has been fulfilled,” Hennessy said, “It’s a good way for me to end in the drama department.”