The district and community

October 16, 2015

Oak Park United School District and community parents discuss the pros and cons of the recent technological developments within the district.

The most recent technical updates within the district include the adoption of Google Apps for Education within the classroom, an increase in iPads and Chromebooks, and upgrades for teacher iPads and laptops, Oak Park Technology Teacher on Special Assignment Keenan Kibrick said.

The district is heading towards…creat[ing] a global collaborative education for students that matches the 21st century world around us,

— Keenan Kibrick

“The district is heading towards…creat[ing] a global collaborative education for students that matches the 21st century world around us,” Kibrick said.

In order to keep up with the rapid technical advancements in the world, Superintendent Tony Knight said that the district “will move toward a more electronic experience in terms of assignments [and] grading,” which is the current position of many colleges and universities.

Knight suggests that within five years, “the textbook [may go] extinct.”

To pursue productive and efficient uses of technology, “the district technology plan has a systematic roll-out based on classroom need for use of technology,” Kibrick said.

Students, teachers, administrators, and parents each experience this plan — which is outlined in a document available on the district’s website — a little differently.

“I think parents will react positively because even though it may be uncomfortable, people can see the many advantages these changes can bring,” Knight said.

Parent Sridhar Ramamurthy is one such enthusiast.

“I believe the school district is going in the right direction with its technology implementations… I am for device agnosticism,” Ramamurthy said. “Technology is evolving and changing every day and… it is critical for the students to understand and adapt to it. It prepares [them] for the future.”

Parent Kasey De Varennes said she worries about technology addiction.

“Our children cannot live without their cell phones,” De Varennes said. “Now we want to add iPads into the mix?”

However, De Varennes also said that she hopes to see a “balance.”

“I want technology to be an enhancement to learning. Student-teacher relations where our amazing teachers spark our children’s imaginations and challenge their learning capabilities are the skills that stand out in my mind,” De Varennes said.

Parent Kaa Ong suggested that the district conduct a study to determine the most “effective student learning [method] between traditional learning methods [and] electronic teaching methods.”

Ong explained how the primary focus should be placed on student learning.

“Many students with self-control and self-discipline will benefit out of [the technical advancements]. However, for others, it can be quite distracting because they can access other programs…on the electronic devices without the teacher knowing it,” Ong said.

Kibrick also acknowledged the possibility of student distraction from learning.

“Technology itself isn’t the problem; it’s how people use it. [It’s] a very powerful tool,” Kibrick said.

Other opinions arise about more specific technical implementations, such as the goal to create a 1:1 ratio between students and devices within the district.

“I am not that enthusiastic about [this idea]. I am not sure if the students will get the benefit for [the money] being spent on this initiative. There could be other projects… that may need to be addressed before implementing this,” Ramamurthy said.

In reviewing the list of complications, Knight said that “the cost of technology is an ever-present concern.”

But despite these possible complications, Kibrick said that he hopes these technological developments are just the beginning for what is to come.

“I’d like to see more of what is already happening,” Kibrick said. “Next year I hope the same momentum [from this year] stays.”

While student education has been the focus of the technological changes, the district has also used the technology changes to update Oak Park’s public appearance.

According to Kibrick, the district office utilizes its newly created public Twitter account and Facebook page to “share examples of amazing student success and technology in the classroom and at school” that will “positively affect the public appearance of Oak Park and help show that the district is a leader in 21st century education.”