Air force flyover to commemorate breaking of sound barrier

October 26, 2017

The Edwards Air Force Base performed a flyover Friday, Oct. 13 in celebration of the first supersonic flight, made by Chuck Yeager, 70 years ago. The United States Air Force fighter jets were scheduled to take flight over a series of schools throughout Southern California, including the Oak Park Unified School District and several neighboring school districts.

“Edward’s Air Force Base were commemorating the supersonic flight by bringing out four jets and flying over schools in California. They had different jets going to different places, like Sacramento, Southern California and the interior of California,” Oak Park High School Principal Kevin Buchanan said.

According to Buchanan, the main purpose of this flyover was to promote science, technology, engineering and math programs across the country by raising awareness.

I’m not that into the science behind planes or law of motion, but it is mesmerizing to think how those planes are so powerful yet fly with ease.

— Daria Sysoeva

“The U.S. Air Force, [Navy and Armed Forces] are trying to reach out to schools and students to increase their understanding of the types of training opportunities in high tech fields that exist in the military,” Buchanan said.

In addition to promoting STEM, the flyover also meant to spread awareness about opportunities in the military.

“[When] we visited an aircraft carrier a couple of years ago, there were a lot of young men and women serving in the armed forces [getting] amazing benefits in terms of money for education and getting specific job training,” Buchanan said. “[The] armed forces are trying to let kids know there are terrific opportunities and careers [out there].”

Since it was a minimum day, students stayed back to witness the planes fly over the school. Many climbed up the hill behind Oak Park High School to get a better view of the military planes, including sophomore Daria Sysoeva.

“Seeing the planes fly over my head was a speechless experience. I’m not that into the science behind planes or law of motion, but it is mesmerizing to think how those planes are so powerful yet fly with ease,” Daria wrote.