‘Drop, Cover, Hold On’: School participates in Great California ShakeOut

Earthquake drill intended to inform students, teachers of proper protocol

October 26, 2017

Students all across the school dropped and ducked for cover during their fourth-period classes Thursday, Oct. 19, during  the school’s annual participation in the Great California ShakeOut. The earthquake drill began at 12 p.m., when an announcement was broadcast over the loudspeakers and lasted for approximately five minutes.

Oak Park Unified School District superintendent Tony Knight emphasized the importance of adhering to the protocol of the earthquake drill — namely, remaining within a building and not going outside. He also reminded staff of other procedural necessities.

“In the event of a major disaster, all employees will be expected to remain on campus and assist in caring for our students until released by the principal,” Knight wrote in an email. “[Teachers] may be required to remain at school for several days caring for our children.”

Being ready, trained and prepared will make all the difference in the event of a disaster.

— Tony Knight

If employees must remain at the school, they are to rely on the “camp-out” model that the school has prepared for such events. This model contains portable shelters, portable restrooms, propane generators, space heaters and medical supplies.

Knight also recommended that the school staff take optional yet helpful preparatory measures. Teachers can sign up for a free training session offered by the district in First Aid and CPR, which may be useful when tending to others.

“The more people trained, the better off we will be,” Knight wrote. “[This training] may save the life of someone close to you someday.”

Such training is particularly important in California. According to the official website of the Great California ShakeOut, “all of California is at higher risk compared to the rest of the rest of the country. You could be anywhere when an earthquake strikes: at home, at work, at school or even on vacation.”

Knight affirmed the importance of such preparatory measures.

“Being ready, trained and prepared will make all the difference in the event of a disaster,” Knight wrote.