OPUSD appoints Anais Wenn as new Superintendent

Wenn enters district with a fresh perspective and a strong drive for success

Laughter filled the air, children raced each other around the playground and their shoes slammed against the gravel as one little girl, Anais Wenn, cried out, “Class! Settle down!” At 18-years-old, Wenn would leave her days of playing school with her neighborhood friends to flee a war in Armenia, immigrating to America and jump-starting her educational career at 19 as a bilingual instructional assistant. From that point on she worked tirelessly until she was recently established as Oak Park High School’s new Superintendent, effective July 1, 2024.

“Arriving in America was not only a journey across the globe; it was a journey into a vastly different culture and language,” Wenn wrote to the Talon. “These early hardships have deeply influenced my perspective on the power of education to transform lives … It has also imbued me with a profound appreciation for the opportunities that education can provide, driving me to give back through my role in educational leadership.”

Entering a new country filled with countless cultures and languages instilled in Wenn a commitment to ensure every student receives the support they need to overcome their challenges and succeed, “just as I was supported by my new community upon my arrival in the United States,” Wenn wrote.

With a Master’s and Administrative Credential in Educational Leadership, Wenn enters all obstacles thrown her way with a knowledge of the education world and an incredible level of adaptivity. She utilizes her past experiences to guide her decisions in her current and future district.

“I see this role as a tremendous opportunity to work collaboratively with a dedicated team to build on [Oak Park Unified School Districts’] successes, address its challenges, and ensure a bright future for all our students,” Wenn wrote.

With over 33 years of education-based employment, she has taken on the roles of classroom teacher, teacher specialist, and assistant principal at Glendale Unified School District. Still, she spent the majority of her time in La Cañada Unified School District.

“Having served in several different capacities helps me understand the rewards and the

challenges of each position,” Wenn wrote. “It also helps me to be a more empathetic leader. I am proud of the relationships I have built with the students, staff and the community … I am proud of the continued academic growth LCUSD students have demonstrated during my tenure.”

Over the 18 years that Wenn worked at LCUSD as Superintendent of Educational Services, she orchestrated the instructional programs and provided support to the student body. Wenn also built a strong network of relationships with the staff, students, and families within the district.

“They will always have a special place in my heart,” Wenn wrote.

Moving from LCUSD to OPUSD, Wenn sees many similarities between the two districts. 

“They are both high-achieving school districts with highly engaged learners supported by teachers, staff, parents and community members,” Wenn wrote.

As Wenn transitions into the new district, she plans to intertwine her values with those of OPUSD, using her vast experience to improve and elevate the district as a whole.

“During my first year, I would like to listen and learn. I want to meet students, staff, parents and

community members and find out what they think about OPUSD and what they would like to see

improved,” Wenn wrote. “I look forward to spending a lot of time at all OPUSD schools … and working together to make the student experience second to none.”