Community college is a great option

College becomes a topic of discussion for most students during their early high school years. Students around the country push themselves to be the best and strive for top colleges like Harvard, Yale and MIT. However, those options are not ideal for most students.

Some students may find that community college is an option that better sets them up for success later in life.

Community college is a type of undergraduate higher education institution that generally leads to an associate degree or diploma. Many community colleges have an open enrollment for students who have graduated from high school,” Education USA wrote.

Unlike most 4-year universities, class sizes can be upwards of 250 students in one lecture hall. Community colleges allow for smaller class sizes and easier application and enrollment processes.

Community college’s most apparent and arguably essential benefit is how students can save money.

Student loan debt is a major reason college graduates cannot buy a house nowadays. In addition, the FAFSA is not a perfect program for students trying to afford education.

Kaitlin Clapinski wrote for Business Insider about how transferring to UC Berkeley from community college saved her from being six figures in debt.

I graduated from the University of California, Berkeley, with $40,000 in student debt… Instead of spending all four years at UC Berkeley, I enrolled in a community college in San Diego for my freshman and sophomore years, saving thousands of dollars. If I hadn’t, I would owe six figures in student debt.”

Furthermore, community college offers a low-pressure environment for students to experiment and figure out what they’re interested in majoring in. Many students have expressed concerns about declaring a major.

Since community college costs practically nothing next to most college tuition, students are free to take classes they usually wouldn’t be able to while working towards a 4-year degree. This lets them experiment with different fields and determine what interests them and what could be a career.

Students can take time to decide on a major and may find that college isn’t the right path. They can choose a trade school, cosmetology, or even enter the workforce immediately.

Another way community college can be a better option is the application process or lack thereof. The application process for community colleges is straightforward. 

Unlike universities, there aren’t lengthy essays that must be written months in advance, no letter of recommendations and no standardized test scores must be submitted. The application will also ask the applicant to provide their educational background, such as proof of a high school diploma. 

Most community colleges accept 100% of the students who apply if they fit the enrollment requirements. This eliminates the stress of whether or not students will get into the college they desire.

“Every year, college admission rates seem to get lower. This might be expected at Ivy League schools… whose admission rates have dropped to record lows in recent years. But the trend is widespread at selective schools,” Spark Admissions wrote. “Last year, schools like Tufts University, Northeastern University, New York University (NYU), and Tulane University all saw their admission rates drop below 10%.”

As acceptance rates continue to plummet, more students will be disappointed they weren’t admitted to their top college choice. This can lead to students feeling discouraged, unmotivated or not good enough for these top institutions. 

“Teens tend to take college rejection as a judgment on themselves—not just on their academic abilities but on who they are as a person. Failing to get into their dream school can undermine students’ confidence and self-worth, leading to what’s sometimes referred to as college rejection depression.”

Today, many students feel the pressure to succeed and immediately go straight to a four-year university. It’s important to recognize that college is not a prerequisite to living a full and happy life.