School adds new layer to class selection

Students to fill out daily activity form before taking advanced courses

Oak Park High School is adding a new layer to selecting classes in an attempt to help students manage their classes and extracurricular activities.

Snapshot of Daily Activities — a new form laying out students’ available hours — has been handed out by the Oak Park counselors from the beginning of last year to help students organize their days by listing their hourly activities, starting from 6 a.m.

“Managing your time is the key to success at school, and I’m trying my best to convey that message to our students,” counselor Randy McLelland said.

McLelland was the first counselor to start handing out the forms to students.

Students don’t really understand how much pressure is added when you take an AP or honors class.

— Randy McLelland

“I personally started giving [the forms] out to all of my students and their parents two years ago with the intent for students to begin utilizing the school’s resources,” McLelland said.

According to junior Katie Costanzo, the forms are successful in their goal of assisting students in completing tasks and making up for lost time.

“The form helps me keep track of certain things I need to do in that day,” junior Katie Costanzo said. “It helps me remember things and allows me to stay organized.”

The Snapshot of Daily Activities form allows students to plan their daily activities amid their academic course load.

“Students don’t really understand how much pressure is added when you take an AP or honors class,” McLelland said. “Too many kids want to do more than they need to, not being able to get to bed at ten and then they get sick.”

Students who take higher leveled courses find this tool particularly helpful to manage their increased workload, according to junior Neela Rajavel.

“I find it very helpful to have a useful tool available to assist me in managing my hectic schedule,” Rajavel said.

McLelland warns against the dangers of pursuing a schedule that is too full.

“If you drive a car nonstop for 8 straight hours, things are going to wear out faster,” McLelland said. “If you don’t take care of your car, it’s going to break down sooner.”