Book sharing libraries open across Oak Park

Eagle Scout project allows Oak Park community to exchange books

A student removes a copy of “Photoshop 7,” an informational book, from the OPHS community sharing library. Junior Rocky Caruso created a series of communal libraries across Oak Park campuses (Skylar Hartmire/Talon).

Junior and Boy Scout Rocky Caruso has created a “community-sharing library” network throughout Oak Park school campuses, in which books are added, borrowed and returned through community generosity.

At Oak Park High School, the library — which looks a bit like a tiny wooden house — is located near the intersection of Kanan Road and Doubletree Road. In it, residents and students of Oak Park can now choose from a selection of books to take home, while replacing them with books of their own. As different books circulate through the library, members of the community are able to access a wide selection of literature, or even recommend books to other readers.

“Notes can be left in the books telling others why they liked it [and] what age range it is perfect for,” Caruso said.

Freshman English teacher Kathy Bowman said that, with the addition of new technology on campus, this program is a way to emphasize the importance of a paper novel.

“Sometimes technology works for some people, but sometimes some people just like to have a real novel in their hands,” Bowman said.

Sometimes technology works for some people, but sometimes some people just like to have a real novel in their hands,

— Kathy Bowman

Senior Kellie Stahlhuth said she agreed.

“I think a community reading box would be a good idea,” Stahlhuth said, “because it would be a good way to integrate a lot of different tastes of reading within Oak Park.”

Caruso originally implemented this library for his Boy Scout Eagle Project, with each library specifically designed for its neighborhood. The library on Oak Park High School’s campus is one of six libraries Caruso installed; others are located at each OPUSD school and outside of the district office.

After approval from Caruso’s troop committee chair, Eagle Scout master, Regional District Chair, all OPUSD principals and superintendent Dr. Tony Knight, Caruso was able to begin building the libraries.

“To complete my Eagle Scout requirements, I had to fundraise the cost of all the supplies, purchase everything, lead over 70 volunteers over three days to cut, build, paint and install the libraries,” Caruso said.

With the addition of these libraries across the Oak Park community, Bowman encourages any resident to leave or take a book.

“Just feel the passion of reading with a real book,” Bowman said. “I think that’s an incredible thing that we are adding to our school.”