Breakfast briefly served in school cafeteria

Before-school breakfast program discontinued after low turnout

Breakfast was served 8 to 8:30 a.m. in the school cafeteria for a brief period of time. It was discontinued mid-semester after low turnout (Meghana Mudunuri/Talon).

The beginning of the 2016-2017 school year brought breakfast to the cafeteria until it was discontinued due to lack of interest.

The school’s cafeteria has always served a variety of foods for both nutrition and lunch. The menu varies from day to day, catering to students and teachers alike as they enter the facility to receive a meal.

But this year, the staff tried something new — temporarily.

“We wanted to serve breakfast before the start of the school day when the year first began,” cafeteria manager Dana Call said.

Breakfast was originally served every morning from 8 to 8:30 a.m. for approximately $3. However, it was discontinued mid-semester when there were not enough people coming before school and buying the meals.

“We didn’t have a lot of takers, so we just had to stop it,” Call said. “For there to be breakfast, there need to be people showing up to eat it.”

We are here to serve the nutritious needs of the students, but until there is an increased interest in breakfast, we will focus our attention on providing great nutrition options.

— Dana Call

According to Call, the students who frequent the cafeteria for both nutrition and lunch would presumably be among those most interested in breakfast. Junior Cole Orr is one such student.

“The food is good at the cafeteria,” Orr said. “I’ve had worse at other schools. But even without that comparison, what’s served here is pretty good quality.”

The cafeteria staff may try to serve breakfast again. But for breakfast to remain an option, there must be greater student turnout in the future.

“We are always willing to try new things,” Call said. “We are here to serve the nutritious needs of the students, but until there is an increased interest in breakfast, we will focus our attention on providing great nutrition options.”