School offers five-class schedule to juniors

Current and incoming juniors can take advantage of this new program (Carly Albert/Talon).

Before students began selecting classes Sunday, the school board implemented the junior five-class plan into the school’s course selection policy — effective immediately.

The junior five-class plan allows incoming juniors who have completed 130 school credits with a 3.0 GPA or higher to take a free period — either the first, second, fifth or sixth block.

“We still want to make sure that students are fulfilling their requirements for post-secondary opportunities, including a-g or other preparations,” Principal Kevin Buchanan said. “We don’t see too many downsides but we still want students to take advantage of the seventh period support and take that elective if they really want to.”

The board implemented this policy to help reduce stress and allow students to complete schoolwork, get work experience or pursue external interests. It is also helpful to athletes or students with significant extracurricular activities.

“I like the change,” sophomore Vedant Mathur said. “It takes pressure off the student especially when the SATs are so close.”

The previous policy required all juniors to take six classes on campus.

“[The new policy] allows students who are getting ahead to take advantage of the credits they have banked and use the time to their advantage rather than having to take an extra elective or take a study hall just because we require six classes,” Buchanan said.

A student may request a free period during first, second, fifth or sixth period; however, he or she may not request a free third or fourth period. Students must consult with their counselor and have their parents sign off on the request. They may also choose to leave during lunch if their parents consent.

However, a number of students do not plan to take advantage of the new option.

“I probably won’t,” Mathur said. “I like to take a lot of classes and get ahead in the graduation requirements.”

With course selection season in process, incoming juniors can decide if the new policy will benefit them and may request the free period on Naviance.

“I think it’s a really bold move for the school to make,” Mathur said.