What is an ombudsman, anyway?

Hint: I’m not a robotic assistant

Photo by Tingey Injury Law Firm / Unsplash Photo edited by Daisy Calderon / Talon

Lady Justice stands in front of Talon articles on the Trello communication board. Trello has been the platform to edit and review all Talon stories.

Here at the Talon, our job titles keep it simple and sweet. Our news editors edit news, our opinion editor edits opinions (thanks Hunter!) and our editors-in-chief serve as the amazing “chiefs” of our entire paper. Even though I’ve been part of the Talon for three years, there’s still one job that has me scratching my head: my own. 

I’m what’s known as the “ombudsman,” a word that sounds more like an off-brand Alexa than a role at a student newspaper. A quick Google search won’t clarify anything: the first definition by Oxford Languages describes an “official appointed to investigate individuals’ complaints,” while a subsequent article from the California Government website states that an ombudsman is “a person in a government agency.” As much as I would love to be some secret FBI investigator, my actual position is something I find to be just as essential (although I unfortunately don’t own any spy equipment). 

In newspapers, an ombudsman’s duty is to ensure that articles are ethical, accurate and honest. At the Talon, this means carefully fact-checking each piece before we decide to publish it. To guarantee ethical journalism, our writers complete an author accuracy check, where they let sources see their quotes so that everything is factual and fair. I help writers through this process and offer an open ear for any ethical questions. 

In 2020, ethical journalism feels more important than ever before. Fake news seems to be flourishing, making citizens afraid and suspicious of the news media. A 2020 study of different nations revealed that only 29% of American adults frequently trust the media. Even in Finland, the country surveyed to have the highest faith, only 56% of individuals responded positively to the question. Furthermore, a frightening 18% of Americans actively view the media as an enemy of the people.  

These statistics aren’t surprising when we consider the rise of social media as a news source and with it, the rise of unvalidated information. Anyone with an internet connection can post faulty news to millions online and receive virtually no consequences. In fact, many might receive benefits from their dishonesty: MIT found that fake news spreads six times as fast than their real counterparts. So why even try to be truthful? 

Well, I’d argue that instead of giving up on the truth, we must fight even harder to preserve it. At the Talon, we do just that. I’m constantly inspired and impressed by my fellow journalists, who uphold honesty and fairness even (and especially) when it’s difficult. As the ombudsman, I aim to do my small part by championing ethics in journalism. 

So, move over FBI agents. You’ve got some new competition.