Oak Park High School students react to new bell schedule

Mixed thoughts and feelings from all grade levels

With a new year comes new changes. 

Changes in the California Education Code made last year resulted in OPHS fixing its bell schedule for the 2022-2023 school year. 7th period support is now built into each block, and zero period minutes are no longer counted as instructional minutes. As a result, each block is approximately two hours, and the school day ends an hour later at 3:25 p.m. Throughout the first two weeks of school, students have begun to adjust to the longer school day. 

“It feels tiring and I feel much more sleepy after school,” wrote a senior, who wished to remain anonymous.

Because each block this year is longer, students have been able to get their homework done using the extra support time given by their teachers. In Mr. Weintraub’s Math Analysis Honors class, junior Angel Wan utilizes the time to complete homework. 

“I can get most of my math homework done in that support period,” Wan said. 

With 7th period gone, many students have found it difficult to finish assignments and receive additional support, even with support time embedded into each block. 

“I know the intention is to build support time into the blocks, but there are some classes where I need little to no support while there are others that I’d need a lot more time on,” senior Abi Jeffie wrote to the Talon. “Besides, some teachers can go over the allotted lecture time and into support time.”

Depending on the teacher, junior Bella Manuel did not think the bell schedule was difficult to adjust to. 

“Not as bad as I thought it would be; some teachers make it more noticeable than others,” Manuel wrote. 

However, athletes’ schedules have been heavily impacted. OPHS cross country adjusted their practice to start at 3:45, 20 minutes after the end of school. Despite this adjustment, it was a tight interval for some to get ready on time. 

“Last year’s 7th period allowed for a rest period to get ready for practice,” student-athlete Rohan Saravanan said.  “Starting later also makes it tougher for student-athletes to get academic support.” 

The effects of the bell schedule are also seen not just throughout the school day, but after.

“Ending class so late just leaves me more tired and lessens my motivation to do work,” sophomore Joy Chu wrote to the Talon. 

Although it is hard to notice the long-term impacts of the bell schedule as of right now, it is safe to say that students are still currently trying to adjust to the new system and balance their academics, extracurriculars and health.