OPHS Mock Trial team prepares for upcoming competitions

Mock trial’s co-captain and team manager share their positive outlooks for the season

“Hell week,” as Mock Trial students like to call it, is fast approaching for the Oak Park High School team as they face the final stages of preparing for competitions. 

“We’ve been having run-throughs and very useful weekend practices to prepare,” team manager Madeline Sean said. “We feel very prepared for the Mock Trial competitions and I know we’re going to do great.”

Mugil Shanmugam, a co-captain of OPHS Mock Trial alongside Charlize Ocon, also believes the team is ready for the upcoming competition. 

“I do think we are prepared,” Shanmugan said. “I think we’re going into the final stages of preparation. Now it’s just coming down to polishing our stuff and being at our ‘A’ game with competitions.”

The next competitions will be held from Feb. 6 to 9 at the Ventura County Courthouse. Shanmugam also mentioned that alongside just competing, Mock Trial is a great extracurricular for students to get involved in.

“Mock trial helps with public speaking confidence when it comes to different things, and regardless of whether you want to go to the law field or not, it’s good to have that experience communicating what you find interesting,” Shanmugam said.

According to Shanmugam, Mock Trial provides students with a genuine support system, in addition to being an educational class. 

“Mock Trial influences students in many ways, the first one is having a support system and community. It’s good to know new people and you have someone to look up to,” Shanmugam said. “It was probably one of my most memorable parts of my high school experience.”