Staff spotlight: College and career center technician Ambyr Preston

A look into Oak Park High School’s newest staff addition

As the new college and career technician at Oak Park High School, Ambyr Preston assists in all events and student relations on campus, as well as helps students with any inquiries about their future goals.

“We put on events here [at the college and career center], and there is always good attendance whether it’s career chat or a college visit. There are always students coming by and engaging in that or coming by regularly to ask simple questions to make sure they are on the right track. So you guys are awesome,” Preston said.

Before taking this position at OPHS, Preston interned at OPHS in the summer of 2011 when she was completing her graduate education and pursuing her school counseling degree. After this, Preston had four children and became a stay-at-home mom while also being a private tutor. With her children growing older, she decided to work for OPHS. 

“Now that my kids are back at school, I saw there was an opening here at the high school and thought it would be good for me to get my foot back in the door because I hadn’t been in a school setting in ten years,” Preston said.

Preston brings her passion for the student experience and understanding of student hardships with her to OPHS. With children of her own, she has an insight into student life today and carries this knowledge with her as she helps students of every grade.

“I have a love for education. I think education is so important and I think the student experience as a whole dictates everything for you as far as success in life. I think that kids need to feel connected to the school that they attend, the teachers, the faculty and to the other students. [High school life] is a great model for what the rest of your life will look like when you go to college and when you get your first job,” Preston said. 

Preston was so impacted by the positivity at the OPHS campus that she decided to enroll her own children in the Oak Park Unified School District, even as out-of-district residents. 

“I think [OPUSD] is a great environment as an entire district. I think academics are so strong here and I think the people here really care about the education that you guys receive. I feel honored to be a part of it,” Preston said. 

In addition to the academics, Preston applauds the motivation OPHS students display. She quickly learned from her welcoming experiences at OPHS that the students are dedicated and joyful.

“I think it’s really impressive that there are so many students who are juniors and seniors that are so proactive and take a lead of their own to be involved in what their future looks like,” Preston said.

Preston welcomes any student into the College and Career Center and would like to get to know more of the students on the OPHS campus. 

“The door is always open, and I love meeting you guys if you want to come by just to say hi and introduce yourself. It doesn’t have to be only if you have a question about college or career choice. I feel joy getting to know you guys and I hope that I make the students feel the same way,” Preston said.