Girls volleyball victorious in their first home game

The volleyball team starts their season with a win

With the season in full swing, the Oak Park High School girls’ volleyball team dominated their first game of the season against Bishop Diego High School on Aug. 15. Along with varsity’s victory in 3-1 sets, junior varsity and frosh both won their games with the score 2-0.

“I think we all feel really good about winning the first game of the season,” varsity junior Taylor Mansmann said. 

Proud to see the girls in action for the new season, the head coach of the varsity team saw hard work and preparation reflected in the strength of the performance. 

“I am really happy with how the girls played tonight and they came out with a lot of energy,” head coach Georgia Mitchell said. “I really wanted them to focus on playing together and communicating and that’s what they did.”

During the only set the team lost, the Eagles fell behind, though they never thought to give up. 

“They stayed calm and kept working and we came back strong and only lost by two points [in that set],” Mitchell said. 

Samantha Liba, a freshman on varsity, is excited to be on the team and for the season to come. 

“I am so thankful for playing with these girls. I am a freshman, so everyone has been so welcoming and I just love this team bond. We have that fire and even if we are down we bring it back up,” Liba said. 

With the team’s determination and hard work, they are thrilled about what awaits this season.

“I am really excited because I feel like the girls haven’t even reached their full potential, so I think we will be successful once we get there,” Mitchell said.

OPHS students, parents and faculty can support the team at their next home game against Calabasas on Aug. 17.

View Comments (1)
$288
$1500