Louisiana superfog causes 160 car pile up leaving 7 dead

New phenomenon coined ‘superfog’ may have devastating implications for the future

A new phenomenon known as a “superfog” caused a massive gridlock, leaving 63 injured and eight dead along Louisiana’s I-55 on Oct. 24. A superfog is best described as an intense fog that severely obstructs vision. Vision was obstructed to less than 10 feet at the time of the crash according to journalist Kyla Russel with NBCDFW news.

This phenomenon is not exclusive to Louisiana. In fact, it is caused by many factors, most of which can be found in California. Wildfires, a relatively common occurrence for Californians, can be a main contributor.

“The combination of wildfire smoke and fog can cause visibility to be reduced to 10 feet or less, leading to pileups, some of which can be deadly,” journalist Kyle Lee wrote.

Superfogs are also very common in marshy areas, because they occur when wet material smolders and dries up according to WPRI

With these challenges come innovators such as Agriculture Commissioner Mike Strain. Strain and his team have been working on solutions such as pushing as much moisture back into the environment as possible. 

“We have two high-volume pumps that are flooding the whole area with water,” Strain said. “It can still smolder, even as it vents up. We hope to markedly reduce the amount of smoke.”

For now, responders are ready to deal with these fatal disasters at a moment’s notice. Superfogs are an issue without a clear solution in sight. Innovators are currently working on a more permanent solution to this dangerous issue.