veritas exquirere

veritas exquirere

veritas exquirere

Students reflect on a full year of the Wellness Center

The benefits of having a place to relax on campus

The Wellness Center on the Oak Park High School campus passed its one-year mark on Nov. 1. The Wellness Center is a place where students can find resources to support their mental health, meet with a counselor or just relax in a quiet place for a few minutes during the day.

“The Wellness Center was a fantastic addition to the school campus. It creates a safe, relaxing and quiet environment for me to recuperate when I’m feeling over-stimulated,” junior Madi Pelc said.

The center offers various rooms and resources to accommodate all students’ needs best. The main room is filled with calming piano music, pamphlets, puzzles and coloring pages for students to find focus through simple activities. The dark room offers beanbags and blankets for students to rest, collect their thoughts and refocus. 

“I think my favorite part is the room with the lights off because I find it relaxing while listening to the calming music they play in the background. I know another friend loves taking naps with the weighted blanket in there during lunch,” Pelc said.

Other students enjoy the center’s more social aspect and appreciate the calming environment on campus.

“I love the community space because it allows me to meet new people and find some good friends,” senior Ella Homesley said. “I think it has really benefited the students on campus because it’s like a sanctuary. The moment you walk into the door all the stress and anxiety you were feeling slowly melts away as you find comfort.”