Tie it in a bow, it’s coquette

A rise in femininity and girlhood
Tie it in a bow, its coquette

A fascinating new trend has quickly emerged and rose in popularity. It is showcased in thousands of TikTok videos, all the rage with celebrities and is a secret symbol in the language of girl code. That is: coquette. 

The word coquette, the literal definition meaning a “flirtatious woman,” has been taken by the girlies of the world to mean anything that is feminine and dainty. Pinks, flowers, furs and bows are all symbols of this coquette movement and are quickly recognized by anyone involved.

The coquette movement became mainstream through the social media platform Pinterest. Hundreds of pins were seen featuring small satin bows, which added a feminine touch to the photos. Some people have even gone as far as getting tattoos of bows in a range of different spots. 

The biggest symbol of coquette is the bow. Silk ribbons tied into bows are everywhere, whether in hair, bags, cars and even food items. It has become a joke to decorate food items and drinks with a bow to give it a coquette look. Many TikTok videos showcase a bow being put on a contrasting situation, like a crashed car or a breakup text, in an attempt to make fun of those who originally, very seriously, participated in the trend. The audio used for these videos is a clip from the song “Let the Light in” by Lana Del Rey. Lana Del Rey is also a symbol for coquette and “girlhood” in general. 

“Girlhood” has also taken the internet by storm and is used in videos both comedically and tragically. Some videos display girlhood as lovingly sharing items between best friends. Some will describe common phrases girls have used to keep safe. Others will showcase serious matters and claim it is “girlhood” to lighten the situation. 

What seems to be the recurring theme is the fact that the internet is embracing femininity. The current trend is much deeper than a ribbon tied in a bow: it’s the reclamation of all that is female. 

In all sectors, whether that be fashion, music or movies, women have undeniably been dominating in a world built for men. Ribbons, frilly skirts and the color pink have been taking over the fashion scene.  Taylor Swift is the biggest artist of this year, arguably of this generation, at least profit-wise. Greta Gerwig’s “Barbie” was the highest-grossing movie of the summer of 2023, and hundreds of girls wore pink when watching the film in theaters. 

This has come after a long period where the reclamation of femininity went awry. Faux “Girl Power” ruled the 2010s, with empty phrases like the word “girlboss” tossed around on every mug and crewneck in retail. When all of this girl power originated, it felt disingenuous as many used it to describe basic stereotypes surrounding women. It was something to be made fun of, regardless of intention. Now, with women on the internet both seriously participating in the trend and making light of their situations, it makes all of this newfound girl power untouchable. It is uniquely feminine.

The surge of pinks and bows is only growing in popularity and it seems that femininity is taking over. A piece of advice: whatever’s going on in your life, whether it be wonderful or heartbreaking, tie a bow on it, and just make it coquette.