Cupid’s misfires: Why teenagers are obsessed with unattainable love

Another year of an impossibly lovesick society – and our youth are no exception
Love is dangerous, and oftentimes ends in heartbreak.

Valentine’s Day has finally arrived and I can practically feel love in the air. Oak Park High School students are currently in a frenzy of who-likes-who and who’s dating and who isn’t, but the truth is, when are we not? 

As far back as I can remember, all the way to the first day of kindergarten, there was never a time when romantic attraction wasn’t in the picture. Children begin forming crushes between five and six years old and I was one of the many who fell into this pattern. When I wasn’t pining over a crush of my own I was occupied with my friend’s romances and lived vicariously through them.

Media outlets push out an idealized version of what love is or “should be” which leaves the rest of the world chasing after a type of love that never truly existed in the first place. We seek to replicate these connections and are left disappointed when our real-life counterparts fall short of this enormous task. Then the cycle simply rinses and repeats until we are utterly convinced that the only love we will ever experience is through a screen.

There are so few Noah Calhouns and Jack Dawsons in the world, nor should there be. Characters were never made to walk amongst us; they were written to be enjoyed and appreciated, but not at the expense of our own connections in real life.  

Growing up I flicked far too many pennies into fountains wishing to be those characters and experience their love, and starting this obsession at such a young age inhibited me from making as strong of relationships as I transitioned into my teenage years.

Almost every movie features romance in some form, and such widespread coverage promotes the idea that you can’t be happy without a romantic partner. 

“There’s always some kind of romantic element that really… draws people in,” Professor Mark Nortz said.

With this on our minds, we walk through life eyeing those around us like a hawk; will this one be it? Will this one love me enough? But sometimes you were never meant to be in love with them, and by pushing for a romantic relationship you risk losing the friendship that could have taken its place.

By viewing classic love stories as a blueprint for our relationships, we have also become increasingly picky with our partners. Seeing successful connections online has led teenagers to think love is easy when in reality the opposite is true. Once they find a “red flag” or “ick” in their potential partner they jump ship before the relationship has the chance to truly develop.

With all of this in mind, it is important to continue to pursue deeper connections regardless of the obstacles along your path. Each year, Valentine’s Day serves as a reminder of the lover within us all and an excuse to express our more romantic sides, which I also think is a much-needed sentiment.

Romance can be one of the most beautiful experiences possible, but don’t forget all of the other things that make life worth living. You have an entire lifetime to fall in love, so take your time!

And if ***** sees this, text me back. Please.