veritas exquirere

veritas exquirere

veritas exquirere

OPHS presents the first-ever Madrigal Dinner

Friends and family come to support theater, band and choir
Tables set up in the style of Renaissance for the guests to enjoy.

The first annual Oak Park High School Madrigal Dinner and Concert was held in the Oak Park Community Center on Feb 9. from 7 to 9 p.m. Students from theater, band and choir dressed up as different people from the Renaissance and performed as guests ate their meals. 

With jesters, pagers and a royal court, the audience was thoroughly entertained. 

A large table specially decorated for the Royal Court.

“There were a lot of skits that were pretty long too,” sophomore pager Georgia Qutami said. “A lot of the adults were laughing, so at least we knew it was funny. It was really fun because some of the actors actually interacted with the guests, not just performed, to make them feel more included and to make it more funny.”

This new event was initially created in an effort to expand the arts programs. 

“My choir teacher said that she used to do it in her high school and it was her favorite time of the year,” Qutami said. “She wanted us to have something to look forward to as well.”

A couple of improvements could be made behind the scenes, despite the night’s success. 

“There were a few hiccups because in the kitchen a lot of things were changing and it wasn’t the way that we practiced it, so I’d definitely say that the waitresses were really stressed,” Qutami said. “But, I think we sounded [sang] really good and it was overall a fun night.”