Grassroots club helps Oak Park celebrate Black History Month

New activities being scheduled for commemoration

February marks Black History Month, commemorating Black legacy throughout American history. This year, Oak Park High School’s Grassroots Club spearheaded the effort to ensure Black History Month is spotlighted on campus. 

We are focused on commemorating Black History Month with weekly spotlights of notable contributions by African Americans,”  Grassroots Club adviser Jennifer Hankins wrote to the Talon.

Principal Mat McClenahan presented the material created by the Grassroots Club during morning announcements. 

“It was nice seeing grass roots celebrate black history month,” sophomore Sowmika Talanki wrote, “I also appreciate how the morning talk about this month. It shows how much they care.”

The Grassroots Club hopes to uplift and educate OPHS students while building a positive school culture that celebrates all identities and cultures. 

The purpose of these events is to celebrate the beautiful diversity in our school community and honor the traditions and contributions of different groups in our society, and create an awareness and sense of belonging on our campus,” Hankins wrote.

The club has done an excellent job in terms of accomplishing its mission. In October, they collaborated with counselor Fatima Hernandez to celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month. 

So far, we have sponsored Ms. Hernandez’s Ballet Folklorico performance in honor of Hispanic Heritage Month on Oct. 9th,” Hankins wrote. 

Thanks to the efforts made by the club, cultural diversity is being pushed to the forefront of the OPHS school community. The grassroots club is a relatively new addition to Oak Park and has jumped into action. Last year, the club hosted David Labkosvski’s art exhibit to remember the Holocaust. The club is excited to celebrate Women’s History Month in March. 

The club is actively seeking new members, as many of the current club members will be graduating this spring. If you are interested in “planting seeds of change,” can contact Ms. Hankins in H-7. 

If you want to learn more about Black history, you can find additional information at libraries and self-hosted events. Virtual museums are also an option and are free to visit, such as the New York Public Library Museum and Virtual Harlem.