‘Anyone But You’ movie review

An unexpected let-down

“Anyone But You” was expected to be a big hit. With the movie earning a spot on Comscore’s box office top 10, it’s safe to say it did not disappoint viewers. Sydney Sweeney, best known for her role as Cassie on HBO’s “Euphoria,” and Glen Powell known for his leading role in “Top Gun: Maverick,” star in this quirky romantic comedy. 

The 100-minute movie debuted on Dec. 22, and has been all the hype since its release. Although its time in theaters was short, the movie has already earned a big profit at the box office. According to The Numbers, “Anyone But You” has grossed $58,000,000 million domestically and $80,000,000 million internationally. 

The marketing for this movie was plentiful and entertaining, to say the least. Numerous advertisements were featured across TikTok, Instagram, Snapchat, billboards and more. Although the marketing was enticing and got us excited to watch the film, it was an extreme letdown. 

The film begins in a coffee shop where the two co-stars first meet each other and immediately hit it off. After a day of fun and laughter, a series of unfortunate events they separate and grow to hate one another. After a year of not talking, they end up being a part of a family member’s wedding and fly to Australia. Eventually, they end up “fake dating” each other, develop feelings and fall in love by the end.

In most rom-coms, the two co-stars usually have undeniable chemistry and the audience hopes and prays they end up with each other by the end of the film. However, the chemistry between Sweeney and Powell was boring and far from fireworks. The plot was predictable and the conversations were extremely cringy and unfunny.

“Yeah, the chemistry wasn’t really there and it was a bit boring,” senior Paya Ghavami said.

Shot in Sydney, Australia, the cinematography was beautiful. The scenery was breathtaking with sweeping views of the  luxurious beach house and coastline. In addition, some jokes were giggle-worthy, which made the movie bearable. 

There were even a few heartwarming moments: a beautiful wedding, jumping out of helicopters and dancing to “Unwritten” made the movie’s ending a good full-circle moment. 

Besides the breathtaking scenery and a few funny moments, “Anyone But You” was a huge letdown and will not be on my rewatch list.