Solar panel construction completed

Over 1,260 panels installed, minimizing school energy costs

Students park their cars under the new solar panel structures. Construction of the panels was completed before the start of the school year (Mia Melideo/Talon).

The installation of 1,260 solar panels was completed Friday, June 30 at Oak Park High School.

According to Principal Kevin Buchanan, there were no problems with the installation of the solar panels.

“The construction got done before school started so we got to start off the year with no construction,” Buchanan said.

The solar panels were installed using money from Measure S funds in order to help conserve energy within the school.

However, the panels were not immediately turned on due to the large size of Oak Park’s campus and a requirement for the panels to be approved by Southern California Edison before they are put to use.

There is an online website that will tell us how many kilowatt hours of power they are generating, how many trees that equates to that are being saved, how many gallons of gas that equates to.

— Kevin Buchanan

“There was an issue with Edison and getting linked all the way up,” assistant principal Jason Meskis said.

Edison visited the high school Aug. 16 to inspect and make adjustments if needed. Once approved, the panels were turned on and have since saved the school 12.2 megawatts of energy.

According to Buchanan, students and parents can view how much power is being saved through a dashboard online.

“There is an online website that will tell us how many kilowatt hours of power they are generating, how many trees that equates to that are being saved, how many gallons of gas that equates to,” Buchanan said.

According to junior Jack Greenbaum, many students are pleased with the shading that the solar panels provide for their cars.

“My car is now being shaded so when I get into it, it doesn’t feel like I am on a hot plate,” Greenbaum said.