Westlake High School student almost kidnapped

Thousand Oak Police Department issues warning after attempted abduction of Westlake High School Student

The Thousand Oaks Police Department issued a warning to the Conejo Valley Unified School District after an unknown driver attempted to kidnap a Westlake High School cross country runner Monday, Oct. 2.

According to an email sent out by CVUSD, the altercation took place near the intersection of Townsgate Road and Truinfo Canyon Road. At approximately 4 p.m., a male driving a white Range Rover pulled up next to the student and came out of his vehicle towards her.

Specific details of the situation have not been released to the public; however, it is known

that the student managed to free herself by making loud noises and struggling against the male. The district has since released a statement with a description of the perpetrator in hopes of eliciting a response from possible witnesses.

The suspect is described as a male with a bushy beard and bald head. He was wearing

black jeans, maroon or purple shirt and vans sneakers

The surrounding community has been encouraged to report any sightings of a man matching the description to the Thousand Oaks Police Department. According to CVUSD superintendent Mark McLaughlin, the school district is also working with the divisional police department to ensure the continued safety of its students.

Please know the safety of our students is Conejo Valley Unified School Districts top

priority,McLaughlin wrote CVUSD is working very closely with local law enforcement to best support and keep our students safe.

According to McLaughlin, the police department is taking new measures to help protect the students by sending out unmarked police vehicles to patrol nearby streets.

Officers will also be working directly with Westlake High School administration and staff,Mclaughlin wrote.

Westlake High School senior Tanner Call said that student reaction at the school was one of general shock.

[Everyone was] saying that it was crazy how it happened,Call said. It just happened in the middle of the day.

Westlake High School Principal Jason Branham urged the Westlake community to learn from this incident and take caution in the future.

Please take this opportunity to remind your children walk with a friend or companion and be aware of any suspicious person or vehicle,Branham wrote.