Fine Arts Assembly

Amanda Lurey/Talon

The cast of “Beauty and the Beast” finishes performing “Be Our Guest” at the fine arts assembly.

Students displayed their respective art forms in the annual Oak Park High School Performing Arts Assembly.

Art programs showcased in the assembly included: dance team, choir (jazz and chamber), band (jazz, wind ensemble, musical orchestra and string orchestra), as well as animation and other visual arts.

Some students performed with multiple groups to present several artistic skills to the student body.

“I was in jazz choir, chamber choir and I portrayed Lumiere in “Be Our Guest” from Beauty and the Beast,” junior Jeremy Orriss wrote to the Talon.

According to Orriss, the performance was very enjoyable to present.

“It feels incredible to have all of your fellow classmates cheering for you and having the satisfaction of knowing you put on a performance that they enjoyed,” Orriss wrote.

However, the assembly was not the same setting or environment as the stage Orriss is used to.

“In the real production I have costumes, props and lighting which makes it feel a little more real, but the fine arts assembly is in front of a larger crowd,” Orriss wrote.

Additionally, the fine arts performance and the official production have some other differences, according to freshman Karen Dotan.

“Performing “Be Our Guest” in front of an audience was different than in rehearsal because the nerves really started to kick in,” Dotan wrote. “However, we all got into character and had such a blast performing it.”

Additionally, there were many instrument-based arts showcased in the assembly — including the string quartet.

“I play the cello,” freshman Navya Batra wrote. “I think the fine arts assembly is a fun way to get to hear what some of your peers have been working on [in the different divisions of the music program].”

According to Batra, the assembly allows students to see their classmates in a new light.

“[The assembly is] a chance for the people at school who have talent and have been attaining new skills to get to show everyone what it is and what the different electives at school are about,” Batra wrote.

The assembly is an important way to educate students regarding the arts available for them to practice at the high school.

“I think the fine arts assembly is an opportunity for students to be exposed to the wonderful arts programs at our school and hopefully pique their interest,” Orriss wrote.

Performances can be extremely nerve wracking for a student, according to Batra, but nevertheless are worth the effort and stress.

“It was fun and a unique experience to get to perform for my peers. There was definitely a lot of extra pressure not to mess up, but it was also a great experience,” Batra wrote.