Jew Crew club petitions for moment of silence

Oak Park’s Jew Crew club created a petition March 13 to have a moment of silence in classrooms everyday for students who want to reflect.

The petition asks to have a moment of silence during the first class of the day, modeled after Agoura High School’s Rabbi Lubavitcher Rebbe’s petition –– created in 1981 –– which successfully implemented one minute of silence for every morning class. Jew Crew Rabbi Mendy Friedman hopes to get the same result at OPHS.

“The moment of silence helps to reflect on whatever you want to reflect on –– it can be on something bigger than you, it can on your values, or it can be on your goals in life, but just think about it: when do you get the chance to do that, just to reflect?” Friedman said.

In order for the petition to be passed throughout the school for signatures, it must first go through ASB and administration. However, Principal Kevin Buchanan said that he agreed with the concept.

“I think reflecting is always good; I think having time to reflect is good. It is really whatever you make it –– if the teachers can enforce a moment in where students can get off their phones then sit in silence. It could be a waste of time, or it can be a time where students can get their heads together,” Buchanan said.

When approached with the idea of a moment of silence, Buchanan related this notion to his occasional walk to work.

“Once in a while I will walk to work. I live close, and it is just nice to walk quietly and think before I get to work,” Buchanan said.

Sophomore and Jew Crew member Lucas Melton said that he believes the idea of the petition is patriotic.

“I think the petition is a good thing, but logically people will think it is a waste of time for class time; that’s why I don’t think it will be passed. It is a good idea, but it would be patriotic,” Melton said.

Friedman said that the first step with the petition would be to begin the moment of silence activity within the club.

“I actually want to get it started right in this club; I think it would be really awesome to start each club [with a moment of silence],” Friedman said.

Friedman stated that he would prefer the moment of silence to be the first thing of the day rather than later in the day.

“It should the first class of everyday, not when you already had a full day of your mind being crazy. The first thing that you should do to start your day is a moment of silence,” Friedman said.

According to Friedman, other schools like Agoura High School, have been participating in a moment of silence.

“There are schools that have implemented it with the effect on the students being incredible. The whole school has a new tone to it –– a type of seriousness, something that the teachers see has a real effect on the students. I heard from a few people, that Agoura High School teachers, at the beginning of every class they actually do that, they actually have a moment of silence before every class,” Friedman said.

Friedman said that he hopes the petition will get passed.

“I think that the petition is a wonderful idea and I hope you agree with me, too,’’ Friedman said. “We’ll see how many signatures we can get to actually implement a moment of silence in classes.”