Girls’ golf swing their way to victory

Last few matches determine final score for the team

Photo courtesy of Morgan Snyder

Oak Park high school girls golf team at one of their practices

Kicking off the season on the second week of school, the girls’ golf team holds a record of four wins and 11 losses.

The team’s first win took place Aug. 28 against Louisville High School, with final score of 251 – 262. Two weeks later, Oak Park won against Camarillo at a home game with a score of 252 – 271.

“I really love the girls on the team and the feeling you get when you have a really good swing or make a putt for par,” senior Lily Rosen wrote to the Talon.

The team plays about two to three matches a week on weekdays after school. On average, the matches go on for about two and a half hours, but 18 hole games can last up to six and a half hours.

“My favorite part is probably the matches,” sophomore Catherine Riker wrote to the Talon. “And being able to play with the other teams and their players.”

So far, the team has won matches against Agoura High School twice.

“I don’t really think about it that much because we’re always just having fun together and enjoying getting to play at matches!” senior Morgan Snyder wrote to the Talon.

The team has two more matches left in the season, and afterwards will compete in the California Interscholastic Federation Team Regionals. CIF Team Regionals is a post-season golf competition where the best golf teams from schools in the Ventura County region compete for the regional winning spot.

“This is my first year playing but I really enjoyed it,” Riker wrote. “I’m hoping to play next year.”

Of the nine girls on the team, five are chosen for each match. The girls switch off playing matches, the amount of playing time depending on the team member’s skill level.

“[My favorite part is] talking during van rides to and from the matches,” Rosen wrote.

Snyder said the team practices up to 15 hours a week.

For practices, the team goes down to the Westlake Village golf course and usually hits the balls off the range before going to putt. Sometimes, the team plays the course or goes down to the chipping green, a field where the players practice chipping and short hits to get onto the green, closer to the holes.

“I count down the minutes until practice!” Snyder wrote. “I’m always so excited to see the team and play in matches.”