Athlete of the Week: Abby Messe

Abby+Messe

Abby Messe

Senior Abby Messe, who describes herself as “nice, friendly and fun,” enjoys competing in both basketball and cross country at Oak Park High School.

Messe has loved playing on the girls’ basketball team at OPHS, saying that it has “given [her] some of [her] best friends and memories.”

“She is a knockdown three-point shooter who is averaging seven points, 2.3 steals and 2.3 assists per game,” head coach Doris Park wrote in an email.

Messe has played for the girls’ basketball team during all four of her years at OPHS. She first played for junior varsity during her freshman year, and later progressed to varsity during her sophomore, junior and senior years.

“One of my favorite memories is our Palm Springs tournament this year,” Messe wrote to the Talon. “I have also loved our CIF games this year and going to UCLA games together.”

Messe has also taken on the role of point guard, which is defined by Merriam-Webster as “a guard in basketball who is chiefly responsible for running the offense.” Though, according to Park, this has resulted in her being unable to shoot as many three-point shots as she had in previous years. Messe has embraced the role.

Messe feels that she has improved in both her shooting skills and leadership on the team, and believes that she has done well during the team’s games against Workman High School and Royal High School.

She has been described by Park as being “an unselfish and kind teammate who is a big leader for our program.”

“Work hard and try to improve every day. Be confident in yourself and your training and aim high,” Messe wrote.