The ADL comes to Oak Park

Inclusivity, tolerance to be taught to students

After multiple events involving ignorance and intolerance regarding the concept of inclusivity, the Oak Park High School administration is examining the possibility of bringing the Anti-Defamation League on campus to conduct anti-bias training with students that will, according to Principal Kevin Buchanan, “increase the climate of care on campus.”

Students would receive a 90-minute lesson from ADL representatives on “inclusivity and an appreciation of the differences that we share,” according to Buchanan.

“[We’d like to support] the notion that we care for all of our students and we want to create
an environment that is inclusive for everybody regardless of the things that have traditionally divided people or marginalized people whether it be race, religion, ethnicity, disability [and/or] gender orientation,” Buchanan said.

According to Buchanan, many of the incidents involving ignorance or intolerance stem from a lack of awareness, which is what the ADL will be addressing via role reversals.

“[It’s about] seeing how it feels [to be] a victim or a target,” Buchanan said.

Counselor Janet Svoboda believes OPHS does a great job of being aware and tolerant.

“I am very proud of the fact that OPHS is a ‘No Place for Hate’ School. [The ADL] strives to combat bias, hate and bullying by focusing on creating an inclusive and positive school environment. With that being said, I feel that there is always room for more learning and improvement on these important issues,” Svoboda said.

Svoboda thinks the ADL’s presentation would both ”inspire and empower” students. The administration hopes to have these lessons take place prior to the end of the first semester in students’ English classes.

“[The] ADL is a very powerful anti-hate organization that fights all forms of hate and bias. Their educational program will hopefully inspire and empower students to speak up when they encounter examples of bullying and bias,” Svoboda said.