NHS participates in Cal Lutheran ethics conference

National Honor Society members participate in annual ethics conference at Cal Lutheran campus (Photo Courtesy of Mrs. Hawkins).

Fourteen members of the National Honor Society, which promotes the character, leadership and service potential of all students, attended The Homer Dickerson Youth Ethics Conference at Cal Lutheran University on March 5.

The seminar explored different topics regarding ethics and how ethical conduct is vital in daily situations. Groups of students shared their thoughts on what would be the ethical response in three hypothetical situations.

NHS Club Co-Secretary Sarah Goldberg reflected on the seminar and believed that it was a fruitful experience.

“I learned about the different perspectives especially between males and females, and gained more confidence in sharing my opinions with large groups of people,” Goldberg said.

Club President Ronak Bhatia also added that the conference can provide students with an atmosphere to “challenge, adjust and affirm ethical standpoints and schemas.”

“Ethics are a very integral part of our lives and we should definitely pay more attention to making ethical choices, whether it’s to not cheat on a difficult exam or end a major business deal due to unethical practices and conduct, because our ethical actions are a definite commentary on who we are as people,” Bhatia said.