NBA Analysis: Tyrese Maxey is Breaking Out

Let’s break down Maxey’s offensive game

If I give you the stat line of 28.6 ppg, 5.4 rpg, and 7.2 apg, who would you think it is? Probably an established star, maybe one amid their prime. This player is looking like an All-NBA caliber player, one sure to make the all-star game. What if I told you that this is the stat line of Tyrese Maxey, a 6’2, 23-year-old guard formerly overshadowed by James Harden and still on the same team as MVP Joel Embiid? Maxey is tallying 8 more ppg, 4 more apg, 2 more rpg, and shooting at the highest clip of his career. The best part is that there is no more James Harden to restrict his offense. The game is his for the taking, and by the side of Joel Embiid, Philly can win it all this year.

Let’s break down Tyrese Maxey’s game. The first step to this is looking at a shot chart for this season. This season, Tyrese Maxey has taken 184 shots, making 93 of them (50.5%). 72 of those shots have been three-pointers, with him making 31 of them (43.1%). This means that 39% of his shots have come from behind the arc. This shows us the first big element of his game, three-point shooting.

Next up, how does Maxey shoot from within 10 feet of the basket? Maxey has a huge floater game and is a good finisher around the rim. Within 10 feet of the basket, Maxey has made 54 of 90 shots, finishing with a 60% accuracy. 48.9% of Maxey’s shots come from that range. These two areas are where Maxey generates most of his shots, with a little coming from the midrange. Maxey’s offensive game has taken a huge step this season, and expect it to keep growing as the year progresses.

This past Sunday, on Nov 12th, 2023, Tyrese Maxey scored a career-high 50 points against the Pacers. According to Yahoo Sports,Maxey was efficient in reaching 50, connecting on 20 of 32 field goals including 7 of 11 from 3-point distance. He added seven rebounds, five assists and three blocks in a stat-sheet stuffing effort that should kick his early All-NBA campaign into full gear.” 

We are all ready for the coming of Tyrese Maxey. It is happening, and now. Tyrese Maxey is going to be an All-NBA player. Mamba Out.