NBA Analysis: Jalen Johnson is the Perfect NBA Player

Every team needs a Jalen Johnson

6’8, 219 lbs, and hardened under Mike Krzyzewski’s system at Duke; Jalen Johnson is the perfect player archetype every team needs. Johnson is athletic, lengthy, has good instincts, and knows how to play his role. He can shoot threes, finish around the rim, and playmake. The best part about it all is that he can do these things at any time. Get JJ at the top of the key. Pump fake, toss the dime to a cutting Capela. Pump fake, drive toward the basket, and slam that home. Pump fake, and hit the three over his defender. Pump fake, handoff-screen pass to Trae, and roll out for the alley-oop. 

Before we get on with why other teams could use a player like him, let’s talk about JJ’s defense. All that’s necessary is a 2-2 zone box 1. That box is Jalen Johnson. He can guard the other team’s best player all of the time, whether they are a shifty guard like Stephen Curry, an uber-athletic freak like Giannis, or a point-center like Jokic, JJ can get them trapped. That’s right, These presumably unguardable players have all been locked up by the beast that is Jalen Johnson. With all of these traits, why isn’t Jalen Johnson in all-star conversations?

Let’s talk about some players who have similar traits as Jalen Johnson. Lebron James, Kawhi Leonard, especially Kawhi Leonard. So if Johnson has star aspects, why isn’t he one? His usage within the Hawks system isn’t meant that way. Sure he probably could be a star if he hogged the ball a little more and took on some more playmaking duties. But they already have Trae Young to do those things. Instead, JJ has taken on a suporting role that helps his team win basketball games. Sure, the Hawks aren’t great right now, but Jalen Johnson plays into his role really well, and that’s all that is important right now.

Every team could use a player that buys into their role. Not every team is like the Clippers, who have their superstars making sacrifices to win, and it works. Many teams have issues with their stars and their touches. One example is the Chicago Bulls. They could definitely use Jalen Johnson. Their JJ is supposed to Patrick Williams, but he isn’t playing up to expectations.

The point is, all teams could use glue guys who do everything and buy into the team vision. The ultimate goal is always to win a championship, and Jalen Johnson is the X-Factor that could affect that.