Girls Water Polo Season Preview

The first ever girls water polo season at OPHS is underway

This year, Oak Park High School added a new CIF sport to the list of winter sports offered: girls water polo. The team will be coached by Ricky Mulcahey, a former player at Cal Lutheran University with 17 years of coaching experience at colleges, clubs and high schools. 

“I’m hoping to build a team and get some girls interested in the sport,” Mulcahey said. “My goal this year is to build the program that other athletes can see as fun and enjoyable and they want to come and tryout.” 

While some athletes are already well-adjusted due to prior experience in swim or water polo, others are diving into the sport for the first time.

“I am super comfortable in the water and water polo is something I’ve always wanted to try because swim is an individual sport,” freshman Sophia Lottery said. “I wanted to feel part of a team and still be kind of within my comfort zone.”

Mulcahey has been putting in a lot of work to ensure the team has enough players.

“So far the team is just people from the swim team,” sophomore Yvonne Wu said. “The coach has been very patient and flexible with our schedules and Coach Ricky is really good and passionate about coaching.”

As this is the first year, recruiting is crucial to the success and longevity of the sport at OPHS. Mulcahey encourages anyone and everyone to try out and be a part of what will become an OPHS legacy.   

“As of right now we have six girls, so we do need to build a little bit more and have more people coming into the sport,” Mulcahey said. “I told the girls if they can get anyone to practice, I can do my part and get them to stay on the team and enjoy water polo.”

Anyone can try out and there will be no cuts. If you are interested in joining the team, please contact [email protected] for more information.