Boys’ tennis dominates new league

The Oak Park boys’ tennis team can see the finish line—and the Coastal Canyon League Championship.

Oak Park Eagles defeated Simi Valley, Camarillo, Moorpark and Royal, giving the team a 7-0 league record and keeping its quest for an undefeated season within reach.

“This is the strongest team we’ve had since I’ve been coaching here,” coach Carl Joyce said. “Having three freshman tournament players always helps.”

The team has seen remarkable strength from both veteran and new players. No. 1 singles player David Goulak continues to excel, going undefeated in league matches. Though No. 2 singles player Jack Berner was injured during the beginning of the season, freshman Dane Koval and sophomore Aaron Lin rounded out a solid singles lineup.

The No. 1 doubles team consists of freshmen Bobby Yang and Justin Zilberstein, who complement the veteran doubles team of seniors Eric Laifman and Trent Lee. Junior Vincent Tran and freshman Adam Kessler form the last doubles team.

“The freshman have been a great asset to the team,” Laifman said. “Many of them are competitive tennis players and helped our team to grow and win.”

With only one match left in the season against Simi Valley, the Eagles are eager to clinch the league title. However, the team knows it must stay focused to perform well.

“We are working hard and practicing a lot as we go into the final stretch of the season,” Laifman said. “We are also staying motivated and taking each match seriously.”