Administration aims for in-person graduation

Provisional plans for the commencement ceremony have been released

The administration has updated its commencement plan, stating that its ultimate goal for the ceremony, tentatively scheduled for May 26, 2021, is for it to be traditional and in-person.

According to a recent announcement by Oak Park High School Principal Kevin Buchanan, a survey of interested seniors and senior parents indicated that an in-person commencement ceremony, combined with a family drive-through or live audience, is most preferred. However, no final decision has been made as the administration is waiting to see how the pandemic conditions evolve.

“With Ventura County case rates currently on the decline and vaccinations underway, it is a reasonable expectation that conditions will continue to improve,” the StudentSquare and ParentSquare announcement read. “We will ultimately be held to guidelines set forth by Ventura County Public Health [Care Agency], which we are currently awaiting.”

Associated Student Body president and senior Anna Stephens believes that the progression of the pandemic within our community is not entirely out of our control. 

“We need to see how vaccinations and case numbers fluctuate over the next few months, which is a good reminder that our individual actions matter! If we all stay extra safe while waiting our turn to get vaccinated, case numbers could drop in our community and give us a little more flexibility with senior events at the end of the school year,” Stephens wrote to the Talon.

Despite pandemic conditions, the administration is exploring different ways to give students an in-person ceremony.

“This could range from a single ceremony with all of our 12th graders, to multiple ceremonies in order to reduce the number of people gathering in one place,” the announcement read.

However, Stephens hopes that ceremonies will not need to be staggered, as she finds dividing the class antithetical to the class camaraderie that graduation is meant to inspire.

“After the rough year we’ve had, I think it is imperative that the graduating seniors get to be together as a class, all in one place at the same time,” Stephens wrote. “It only seems right.”

It may not be possible to host a large live audience, so the administration and ASB are considering imposing a two guest per student limit to reduce the number of people present. But, they are working to make sure that students’ loved ones can still be involved in commencement. New practices introduced this year could have benefits even after the pandemic is over.

“Graduation will be live streamed no matter what from this point on, pandemic or not. We love that it gives the opportunity for families to watch from anywhere around the world,” Stephens wrote.

If conditions do not improve, the administration is considering hosting a drive-through event similar to last year’s event. As the survey revealed, many students and families are not in favor of this plan.

“A drive through won’t give us the same sense of togetherness with the rest of the students. I feel as though the graduation ceremony is a time to be together with other graduates, while I can go have dinner and celebrate with my family afterwards,” senior Krisha Thakur wrote to the Talon.

Even if conditions allow for an in-person graduation, though, there are still concerns about the accessibility of an in-person event during a pandemic.

“Some students and/or family members will not be able to participate in any sort of in-person event,” the announcement read. “We will make sure to provide a way for all students to be included in a special and meaningful way.”

Stephens has high hopes for this year’s commencement ceremony and believes that it is particularly symbolic given the hardships the Class of 2021 has faced this year.

“During COVID-19, graduation is a reminder that we beat the odds. Whether it was distance learning, financial hardship, or anything else that has happened to us over the past year, we’ve overcome the many obstacles that the pandemic has created,” Stephens wrote. “It’s a testament to what a wonderful collection of people we are, and I can’t wait to see what the Class of 2021 accomplishes after graduation.”