New principal of Medea Creek Middle School appointed

Jenny DaCosta joins Oak Park Unified School District

A new principal, Jenny DaCosta, Administrative Director of Instruction at Granada Hills Charter, has been appointed for Medea Creek Middle School, following current MCMS Principal Brad Benioffs’s shift in position to Director of Student Support and School Safety. 

Oak Park Unified School District used a comprehensive search process to select DaCosta, including a group of stakeholder parents, teachers, support staff, administrators and Board of Education members. 

“For the past decade at GHC, [DaCosta] has notably demonstrated expertise in innovative professional development, blended learning, state and federal accountability, compliance policy, and a passion for curriculum and instruction,” Superintendent Dr. Tony Knight wrote in a ParentSquare blast. “Jenny is a leader who is unapologetic about the mission of students being at the heart of every decision a school makes.”

DaCosta oversaw the high school program of 4,700 students at GHC and was an adjunct professor at Mount St. Mary’s University and UCLA Teacher Education. She worked in Los Angeles Unified School District for 14 years as a teacher, literacy coach and assistant principal and was selected to serve on State Superintendent Tony Thurmond’s Transition Team. 

“She truly embraces the artfulness required around effective and authentic instruction,” Knight wrote. “As both a dedicated leader and scholar, she learns and leads with humility.”

Knight is confident in DaCosta’s experience and her leadership ability, believing her to be an “excellent match” for both MCMS and OPUSD.  

“I want to thank staff, parents, administrators, and board members who took part in the selection process,” Knight wrote. “Please join me in extending a warm welcome to Jenny DaCosta as the new principal of Medea Creek Middle School.”